Recent content by bean_counter

1. B

Picked up a couple Ampex 620F powered speakers

If the amps are like the "suitcase" portable version (and I'm pretty sure they are), there is a equalization circuit built it to compensate for running the speaker full range. As an FYI, Kegger published a schematic removing the equalization (it's here on AK somewhere), but if you want to keep...
  2. B

Need help identifying very old Jensen Equipment

with a little googling out of curiosity, might be a repurposed jukebox amp and speaker; saw something similar from a late '30s AMI jukebox, but I couldn't get very far with the nanny-ware here at work
  3. B

A Bit of a Conundrum, Fisher or Scott

I have a Scott 355 tuner/pre, with an AM section; I thought I would never use it, but it has come in handy for listening to ball games and such while doing chores around the house (I prefer music, but if the Mrs says turn on the Cubs game, the Cubs game shall be turned on). If you have the...
  4. B

Stephens Tru-Sonic 15" woofers in Ampex Signature

I have found this on the Acousti-Craft consoles I have worked with. A mix of woods, and a fairly thick colored varnish to match things up. Plywood top panels with routed hardwood edges tacked on, can be a trick to cosmetically repair scuffs that are on both pieces.
  5. B

Pilot SA-260/SP-210 Pwr Supply

here's an example supply; schematic on page 3. I've got a 210 I need to build a supply for. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pilot-sp-210-power-supply-build-photos.193694/
  6. B

45 Sound out of a 300B? Or a more powerful 45 setup? Possible?

I didn't recall which had the odd tubes. A year or two ago somebody local had them on C-list for weeks at a decent price, nobody bit (likely because of the tubes). I should have grabbed it, but too many projects, and I really didn't want it for my system anyway. Then it would have been me...
  7. B

Hmmmm... I don't think I would be ripping up any Luxman tube amp, except to mod the ones with that funky unobtainium output tube. Better off selling them and buying/building.
  8. B

I can understand that. Feedback amps aren't my cop o' tea, either. A KT88 amp might not be so bad to convert, depending on the amp, add a choke input to the power supply and it brings the B+ down to something suitable for fixed bias 2A3 or 6B4G. Maybe tall enough for a cathode bias 45, since...
  9. B

I'm in the minority (and a small one at that), but I prefer class A push-pull DHT's. I think most of the "magic" comes from DHT vs SET, you don't give up much but you gain better control of the low end. Try a PP 45 with phase splitting transformer coupling; a 5842/417a is a good driver for a...
  10. B

Interconnects for closely spaced connectors

+1 on Switchcraft, that’s what I have been using for making cables. I think Vampire still makes one, I have some of thier older cables with connectors that fit my 355.
  11. B

Does solder matter?

I still have a couple of spools of Radio Shack silver, has always given good service - except for a batch (early 2000's?) that wasn't quite right and was very difficult to work with. Anybody remember that? They must have left out the above mentioned distillate of serpent extract. After that...
  12. B

Altec 353a and 308a

Really? OK, I stand corrected. Sorry if I was misleading.
  13. B

Altec 353a and 308a

Altec "Voice of the Theater" home electronics are fairly scarce and desirable. Very expensive back in the day, IIRC a step above Mac. Reputation for excellent build quality and output transformers. Worthy of showcasing; I know I heard a home VOT amp as a kid - must have made an impression on...
  14. B

1964 Console with Sansui SA-X100 Receiver.

Consoles with separate speaker cabs are tough to find. If you think you will ever want a console that isn't restricted by fixed speaker placement, grab it. I don't think any of the electronics are anything special, depending on speakers (which are unknown?). I think the Sansui is a low-end...
  15. B

Dynaco MkII - What to ask when buying?

Well, they have obviously been modified; aftermarket boards, painted (for better or worse, MKII weren't chromed), looks like an added toggle switch - for what? Also looks like it has been changed to solid state rectification, as the 5U4GB has been replaced by a capacitor. I would expect the B+...
Back
Top Bottom