Recent content by beastwoo

1. beastwoo

New home server, Synology DS718+. Questions on setup.

@stupidhead I'll try sharing a few things that have worked for me. To stop iTunes from organizing your music files, under iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced Preferences, disable "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library". I keep all my...
  2. beastwoo

Yes, the Airport Express is somewhat restricted to the Apple ecosystem, but there's more than just iTunes. You can set the Airport Express as the audio output from your Macbook by clicking on the speaker icon in the macOS menu bar. Then any sound output from the Macbook will be sent to the...
  3. beastwoo

I've found many uses for my Synology NAS, including using it as a music server with the built-in Audio Station software. It sounds like you may want to do that as well. I stream lossless ripped CDs over wifi to several receivers, including an Apple Airport Express (latest version), a B&W Z2...
  4. beastwoo

Music server was infected by virus

Can you relaunch the computer in "safe mode" from the sign in screen (instructions)? That should start your computer with a minimum set of services and you might be able to recover your files if you don't have a backup or remove any suspicious software. If you can get into your computer this...
  5. beastwoo

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

This is super helpful! Now I don't have to worry about chasing down an alternative power supply...I can just enjoy the nice sound this thing already puts out. Thank you!
  6. beastwoo

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I have one of the FX-Audio FX502S Pro amplifiers with TPA3250 chip, and I think it sounds great. The DC power plug on it is labeled 24V, but I've read here that the TPA3250 operates better (improved power vs. distortion) with 32V or even 36V. Does anyone know if the FX502S Pro can run with a 32V...
  7. beastwoo

Tube pre amplifier and Class D SS amplifier

There's a lot of info on this enormous thread about pairing the Sainsmart 6N3 tube buffer with class D amps, usually variants of the TPA3116/TPA3118 driving speakers. The consensus on that thread is that both the type of class D amp and the build quality of the board and enclosure can make a big...
  8. beastwoo

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I think the volume control on the FX502SPRO would be considered mechanically stepped. The volume control is stepped, but you can stop inbetween the steps and the volume varies continuously. It's the one thing I find annoying about the amp. @bubba42, thanks for the tip on the Aliexpress sale...
  9. beastwoo

Marantz HD-Amp1 or other compact integrated?

I'm looking for opinions on the Marantz HD-Amp1 integrated amplifier to drive a set of Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 floor standing speakers, rated 90 dB, 6 Ohms. Does anyone have experience with this amplifier driving floor standing speakers like this? I have been looking for a compact integrated...
  10. beastwoo

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Sweet! What type of power supply did you order and where did you find it?
  11. beastwoo

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

My 19V 6A power supply is a laptop-style brick, I think HP branded; I don't remember where I got it. I wonder if replacement power supplies for gaming laptops might be a good match, as the graphics cards for those laptops would have pretty big power requirements. I see Amazon has a few 19V 9A...
  12. beastwoo

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I haven't had the FX Audio TPA3250 shut off on me yet. When I first got it I probably had it up around 5/8ths into bookshelf speakers, trying to find where I could start to notice distortion. Like you, I can't actually listen to music at that volume. I currently have the amp connected to more...
  13. beastwoo

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Not sure I'm qualified to answer that question. I was just wondering why the TPA3116 build has a very large bank of capacitors (10 of 'em) while the TPA3250 does not (looks like 2). I thought the point of these was to store power needed for strong dynamic sections of music. Now that I've...
  14. beastwoo

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I spent a while switching between the 19V 6A and 12V 5A power supply on the Nobsound TPA3116 because it arrived first. The volume seemed pretty similar with both supplies, and the difference was subtle, but I thought the 19V supply had a slightly fuller sound. I'm not sure I could identify the...
  15. beastwoo

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Through a wrinkle in the China-US postal system, I recently ended up with two new amplifiers: a Nobsound TPA3116 dual-chip (100W/channel) and an FX Audio FX502SPRO TPA3250, both from ebay seller doukmall. I also have a Yuan-Jing TPA3116 single-chip board purchased two years ago from Parts...
Back
Top Bottom