Recent content by benjmatt

1. B

anodizing the top edge of an sx-1980 faceplate.

I just bought a second SX-1980 and the top edge of the faceplate is screwed. Who can fix the top edge and anodize it with the correct brushed finish? Any leads would be great. I want a pro no home brew on this.
  2. B

SX-1980 output transistors vs SX-1280 transistors

I am a Pioneer Nerd and during my Pioneer power journey, I bought and recapped all of the large 1975-1979 units. All of been sold except one 980 and one 1980. Anyway in my quest I started acquiring output transistors for the SX-1280 so I had plenty of spares in case any failed in my 1280...
  3. B

SX-1280 repaired

I am looking for someone to ship this to to have them fix. I need someone that is excellent that I can trust won't steal parts or take 6 months to fix. I will double box and provide shipping labels both ways. Can you please help me locate this person. Thank you Ben
  4. B

SX-1280 repaired

Can an admin move this thread to the pioneer section. I don't think I have the permissions to do so. Thank you
  5. B

SX-1280 repaired

Omaha Nebraska. Unit stays on. The right channel has the issue. You can play music and then all of a sudden the right channel starts progressively going thud, thud, thud louder each time. Usually by the 3rd time the unit goes into protect. You can visually see the thuds getting louder by...
  6. B

SX-1280 repaired

I have an excellent repair shop locally. Unfortunately my SX-1280 has an intermittent issue and my tech can't figure out what to repair. Looking for recommendations of whom I can send this unit to. Looking for someone that won't hold the unit for months or years. and will turn it around...
  7. B

Opinion Pioneer Thread SX

That being said. the SX-1980 had the best bass, followed by the SX-1280, SX1250 and then the SX-1050. I have not reworked the older units as they did not have the cosmetic appeal to me.
  8. B

Opinion Pioneer Thread SX

So in my quest to understand Pioneer SX gear from 1976-1979 I bought them all. I did a total recap on each and restore of each of these units. (inside parentheses I put how many of each I have owned and redone). Here is my evaluation of each unit and my opinions. (1) SX-850 Nice looks way...
  9. B

I have a broken SX-1280

I have a broken 1280 and according to my repair shop I need the large round Transformer. I look on ebay and have yet to find one yet. I may have to buy a dead 1280. Any leads on where I can get one? Or Possibly have this one rebuilt? Thank you in advance.
  10. B

Anyone that is a Pioneer purist please chime in why I shouldn't do this

I have an SX-1080 that is completely gutted. It had bad output transistors and we took enough parts off this to repair 4 other 1080 units. I believe this is a score, I would like to fix this unit but the face is awful and I don't think it can be done easily. Plus the parts are impossible to...
  11. B

Is the SX-1050 the best Reciever out of the 80 or 50 series?

I love the look of the 80 series. The sx-980 is my favorite. I own one that is fully recapped. I tried the 1080 and 1280 and they gave me no reason to own a 1980. I acquired a 950, 1050 and 1250. All three got a full recap. I wanted to love the 1250 but the 1050 stood out to me, even over...
  12. B

Pioneer SX-950 vs SX-980

I have owned multiple 980s. I have had one super clean 950. My nod goes to the 980. Both were recapped and tested out. I did a side by side and the 980 just plainly performed better. The 950 was great but it made it easy to sell. The transistors do concern me on the 980 but there are a...
  13. B

Sx-980 recap

I have determined I want to recap a sx-980. I own a very cherry unit I bought from the 1st owner. I just bought another one on eBay last week for a good price. It is a lot dirtier and will be perfect to practice on. I was thinking about getting the caps from the audio-high-store.com. At...
  14. B

Pioneer SX 50 vs SX 80 Series

I have now owned 2 sx-980, 2 sx-1080, 1 sx-1280, 1 sx-850 and a sx-1050. Bought them to try and did a shootout. Sx -980 is the sweet spot for me. I love the size and has the nicer wood vs veneer of the 880 and 750 and lower model units. I love the vu meters and the bright sound. I did not...
Back
Top Bottom