Big Tuna
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Media About

• Hey Big Tuna, I inherited a couple of HD 88 last year, I love them but they are in rough shape. Some components are missing, some are not working and other are replaced. I saw your post about the 88s in July but have been overwhelmed with things to do up to today, the first thing I wanted to to was to touch base. Hope you will find some time to address me in the right direction. Looking forward to hear from you!
    Hey Big Tuna, I found and purchased a pair of LS-403a that should arrive soon. Two reasons I choose these were, I have a KR-7400 of the same era and research lead me to many of your posts about them. Seems you're the expert and I was wondering if you have any brochures, manuals or personal opinion on this pairing. I also have a recent post in the Speakers forum titled "Kenwood LS-403a" if you want to see pics.
    Big Tuna
    Big Tuna
    I do have some info on LS-403, and LS-404B, which are very very similar. I did also have a pair of LS-403A, but I let a flipper get ahold of them. Let me know and I'll see about digging them out for some pics. Cheers.
    I'm looking for the Marantz logo badges for the grills as well. Ebay has some generic ones that would work in a pinch but would like OEM if they're available somewhere.
    Big Tuna
    Big Tuna
    I am too. They are very hard to find these days. I am seriously considering contacting a award/embroidery business to actually have some made.
    Hi!
    I got a pair a cerwin vega d9 (woofer is 154w) and one of the coil blew up so I bought 2 woofer but they are 152wr, whats the difference and the 152wr were in which speakers before?
    Big Tuna
    Big Tuna
    152WR Are D9 originals, as well as the 2000-15, and they were used in the 316 R and 417 R. W154 are 380SE, PD9, CD90.
    Big Tuna
    Big Tuna
    154w were S2, S2EE, and it is possible they were used in D9's, but very early production.
    C
    Cerwin Junki
    The D9 came with the 152WR. The 316R and S2EE came with the 154W which had a steel frame and aluminum frame version. The 380SE, PD9, and CD90 took the W15-4 woofer.
    I own a pair of Kenwood LS 408A speakers. I had hooked them up and was so impressed with the sound but I heard no sound from one tweeter and when tested there was no reading on the multimeter... Can anyone please suggest where I might look for a replacement and/or whether the tweeter can be repaired? Or: Does anyone, for example, Big Tuna, happen to have one maybe sitting around looking for a good home?
    Wayne
    Big Tuna
    Big Tuna
    Hello Wayne, so sorry for my delay. I'm still not used to the new style AK format. Been pretty busy with work too. Yes, I have quite a few spare 408 tweeters hanging around my parts bin. No they cannot be repaired if they are open(blown). The leads travel through the frame and edge of cone, and the tweeter cannot be disassembled without permanent damage. Do you still need a tweeter? Let me know. Cheers. Charles
    Hello, I have a pair of 408c's and am trying to determine if have original drivers or not. Tweeter had really no marks, midrange frame had 'trio' and kenwood symbol in aluminum frame, woofer has 'BOHEM PART NO. 12 HECHO EN VENEZUELA' in the aluminum frame. Woffer also has stuf on it in ink. "912A223D"; and below that is "248409C". Any of that mean anything?
    Big Tuna,
    I have a set of Kenwood 408B speakers which are in fantastic condition. However, I feel the sound is a bit to flat for me in the upper bass and midrange areas. I read you posting on replacing the caps with your suggested crossover. In your opinion, does this crossover produce better upper bass response and more bottom in the midrange areas? Would welcome any suggestions.
    Staun
    Hey, Big Tuna!

I have some Marantz HD770 and HD660 speakers in nice shape w/ all original drivers that I've had for several months. Both pairs have the original Vari-Q plugs with old, rotting foam.

Can you describe for me in a little bit more detail how you go about refurbishing these Vari-Q plugs? I've read your post about obtaining sheets of closed-cell black foam from Lowe's, and then "rolling and angle-cutting it" to size, but I'm a little bit confused as to what you mean by "angle-cutting" and how you would keep the roll together once it's on the plug. I do understand that the foam roll, when finished, needs to be slightly bigger than the hole in the cabinet to ensure a nice seal.

Also, do you happen to have any spare Marantz logo badges from the HD series speakers that I might be able to purchase from you? Neither of my speaker pairs have the original badges.
    Thanks! --Matt
    Hey Big Tuna! You confirmed/clarified (in one of your past posts) something that's been driving me nuts for a few months. I retrofitted a pair of Kenwood LSXXX speakers recently; replacing the woofers with Altec 10" Bolero woofers and adding a RCA 6" MI-2934 (old ships speaker w/ phenolic cone -much sought after in DIY cirlcles) in a three way config using a new motor board. Now here's the weird part (were you come in); on a hunch I used the Kenwood cone tweeter that came with the original cabinets as it sounded pretty good when listening to them before the mods. Holy cow!...this tweeter is just RIGHT! I've been going crazy trying to figure out how a cone tweeter sounds better than my pricey vintage coral horns(?)....well, your post has helped me regain my sanity because it confirmed that I'm not going crazy or deaf...it's a perfect tweeter above that RCA driver (and the Altec woofer too). Many thanks!....Eric in Toledo.
    Hey, Tuna. Thanks for your response!

I took some pictures of them: http://imgur.com/a/vok6a. They look better with the drivers in, haha. You can see what's up with the current crossovers. I'm not sure if either of them are stock.. Either way, I want to put in something better.

You're talking about these crossovers, right? I see... they match up with the frequencies on the back label.
    http://www.electronix.com/way-200-watt-speaker-crossover-p-20986.html

Do you know anything about the 150W version? It is half the cost..
    http://www.electronix.com/way-150-watt-speaker-crossover-p-13681.html

-Matt
    Hey, Big Tuna.

I just picked up a pair of LS-408B's. They look beautiful, and the drivers are original cones, newly refoamed. However, I'm not so keen about the crossovers. They're just capacitors, and there's a different configuration in each speaker!

Do you happen to have a crossover schematic suitable for the 408B's, or could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help.
    -Matt
    Hello, Big Tuna. I hear you are the man to talk about Kenwood speakers with. I have a pair of LS-890's that I love. I have read about some mods you have done and was wondering if there was anything I could do to get even more out of the 890's. Powered by a Kenwood model eleven. Also any advice on how to find a pair of model 7's or ls-408b's? Thanks for any advice.

Brian
    Was told you may know of these speakers I own.
    Can't insert them here but I've uploaded them on Kenwood fans and my profile.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Hi, Charlie; no problem with the delay as I got into a garden project. Yes, paypal will work for me so fire away.
    That would be great Charlie. I have a post in barter town. We'll see if any one else might be interested.
    Charlie,
    The crossovers for the LS -408A's arrived today and I am wondering if it is easy to figure out how to hook them up. Also I can see from the number of your friends and messages that you're a busy guy, but I am wondering about the midrange speaker you were going to send to me. Have sent my address a couple of times, hope you've got it.
    Andre
    Hi, Charlie;
    It turns out that the dusty, sun damaged speakers under my bench are Kenwood LS-660. The drivers all measure 7.3 Ohms and they actually sound quite good. Do you think they are worth restoring?
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom