Recent content by Big Tuna

1. Big Tuna

Mystery Marantz Speakers - HD 550?

They look like HD66 cabinets, because 550's have 8" woofers, and yours look like 10's, which is what the 66's are, plus the layout looks exactly like 66's. Someone probably had the boxes laying around and all they could find were hd550 Xovers and cheep frankendrivers, and added the wonky Lpad...
  2. Big Tuna

Picked up a pair of 4315's from an old recording studio.

Absolutely, Gordon! They do sound nice and smooth. They produce every detail, voice, and timbre without being shrill or harsh. The bass is, yes, as you said, very dynamic and full, without any mudd or boominess. And dam do they dip down low. The cool thing is, they hold that low note and don't...
  3. Big Tuna

They were refoamed by orange county speaker around 20 years ago. They cut off original dust caps to shim and put slightly larger ones in their place. Honestly they look good, but I would have preferred they re-installed originals. They were free standing in the studio mix room, on a shelf about...
  4. Big Tuna

After some cabinet finishing, and driver inspection, they are correct and sure do sound really, really nice.
  5. Big Tuna

JBL 4315 Studio Monitors Need Advice

I picked up a pair of 4315's last year. It was a roll of the dice but I lucked out and they are good.
  6. Big Tuna

Happy Birthday Big Tuna!

Thank you, everyone for the Birthday wishes! My wife took me out to eat and I had two margaritas! I was so drunk I passed out while listening to my favorite Jazz.
  7. Big Tuna

Kenwood LS-403A woofer polarity

I've had 403's, 403A's, 403B, and 404B. Some of my favorite small speakers. The cap needs replaced after 40+ years, and yes, they are supposed to be in phase. The bigger models, 407/408, the mids are reverse phased. LS series designed using the big, rare Model Seven as it's influence. Crosslaid...
  8. Big Tuna

Marantz Model 7 Mk.II

It causes me great pain when I see original woofers gone and crap shack poly woofers in their place. :(
  9. Big Tuna

Did Kenwood make good larger speakers?

On the contrary, there are/were some excellent cone tweeter designs made with proprietary blends of pulp that sound excellent. Sophistication is irrelevant, IMO. The reason there were so many was because of the wide range of people's listening habits. Each manufacturer of the time, dedicated or...
  10. Big Tuna

This was Halloween 2021, when I used them in garage for spooky sounds to trick or treaters, haha! I might be doing that again this year. Weather permitting
  11. Big Tuna

1980 Kenwood LS-407C Loudspeakers by Big Tuna posted Mar 11, 2011 at 10:32 PM I have a pair of LS-407C, hehe! Lovely sounding little buggers. They seem to not be as easily found as their early brothers, LS-A and B series.
  12. Big Tuna

The LS-Series A, B, & C, do have capacitors for tweeter and midrange, however, the drivers voice coils are inductance tuned and they roll off naturally. Midrange is reverse phased, to cancel transients so it does not overlap woofer or tweeter. Baffles are crosslaid lumber core laminated with...
  13. Big Tuna

Yep, they did. Their pinnacle design was the "Model Seven". I've listened to and owned many speakers over the years and nothing, and I mean nothing came close to the sound reproduction of them. Silk dome tweeters and midrange. Midrange had magnet bigger than most woofers! Woofer was 14.5" hand...
  14. Big Tuna

The rarest speakers you own or have owned?

1979 Cannon TLS-1232T. My dad bought them new in Reno, NV. Not boomy, muddy or shrill at all. I A/B'd them against JBL L-150's years ago, and they did everything the JBL's did, note for note, soundstage, imaging and power delivery. Passive radiators are not just a flimsy paper disc like some...
  15. Big Tuna

Voice coil through dust cap

Some pictures would help shed light to those curious of your error.
Back
Top Bottom