Recent content by Bill H

1. Bill H

Audio Research LS-15

I also have the LS-15 and have to say its the best pre I've owned. I will 2nd the use of amperex tubes in this unit. I use 7308's in there. I will say on very efficient speakers even on the lowest volume setting, it might be too loud for late night listening. Good choice! -Bill
  2. Bill H

What's Your Tube Amp/Preamp Plugged Into?

The snap of a few sparks, a quick whiff of ozone, and the lamp blazed forth in unparalleled glory!!
  3. Bill H

Went to buy speakers and found some nice Scott gear

I have to say I've owned my Cornwalls since 2004 (vint 81). I don't think I'll ever own another speaker, I like them that much!
  4. Bill H

Phillips Miniwatt 7DJ8

I was running the above in my ARC VT50 for about 2 years. I hadn't used that amp for the last 8 months or so till I fired it up this weekend. I found that 1 channel was much lower. I swapped the drivers around and found a bad Miniwatt. Anyone ever see something similar? I've heard that ARC's are...
  5. Bill H

CJ tube amp Powered On with No Input Or Output Tubes installed

Check the A/C mains plug. I have seen where if a unit's switch in in the on position (or in the case of a citation II with no switch), you can get an arc when inserting the plug. I'm pretty sure that your CJ has a SS rectifier. It was prolly the load of the caps charging. Just my 2 cents....
  6. Bill H

Input on Sovtek 6922 tubes (RAM tube works)

I had a AI Dual Mono. I had very good results with the Miniwatt PCC88's. The AI is LONG GONE.... But the Miniwatt's are now doing duty as the drivers in my Audio Research VT50. And it's very hard on tubes!
  7. Bill H

Just got my first JOLT!

:lmao:
  8. Bill H

To recap, or not recap?

I'm fine with working on gear. I was looking more for opinions on whether swapping these caps for something like PIO or Auri's would change the sound to something slightly more "Lush". I'm almost there with some of the tube rolling I've done. I just need that little bit more.......
  9. Bill H

To recap, or not recap?

I'm pondering the idea of re-capping my soundvalves TVA-70i. It's 8 caps in total. I love the sound of this unit, I just feel it could have slightly more "Romance" to it. It's only a few years old so they're not bad, I just can't identify who made the caps or even if they were any good. Just...
  10. Bill H

EL34, "best" of the new crop?

I've been running =C='s in my VTA-70i for a couple years now (bought them used) and they still run strong and sound great!
  11. Bill H

ST70 series I vs series II

Series II was manufactured by Panor (I believe) and did not have the PAM (octal) preamp sockets in the front. Instead, there were 4 bias LED's and 2 pots for bias adjustment.
  12. Bill H

What does everyone own for tube gear!

Amps: Audio Research VT50 Citation II Soundvalves VT70i Pre's: Audio Research LS15 Soundvalves VTP101i PAS 2 Int's: Eico HF-81 HK TA230 Misc: FM3
  13. Bill H

Now here are some tubes that will stop your heart...

HA-HA!! :lmao:
  14. Bill H

Eico HF-81 Bass Mod?

Are all the resistors Carbon Film now?
  15. Bill H

Tube amp warmth..

I'd say..... ....As it's 45 heading to 49 in Jersey today :D
Back
Top Bottom