billyz
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Media Albums About

• billyz
    billyz
    I only bypassed the second one. It increases the gain , so I padded it down with a 47k .
    It’s the second that really kills the preamp. A very strange and unnecessary circuit. I should have played around with the gain reduction, like an appropriate voltage divider . But I have since sold the unit. The 299d late schematic shows the pec as reducing gain by 14db.
    Hello,
    I've got a Scott 233, I see that you are very experienced with it, so I'd like to ask your advise. The right channel seems to make noises when there are more than 3 instruments or the volume level is high. I know the way I explain it sounds vague but I hope it might give you an idea. What do you think the problem might me? I tried / rolled 7591a tubes but it made no difference.
    billyz
    billyz
    Could be a noisy preamp tube . Could be a noisy preamp tube plate load resistor. I have even seen the cathode resistor cause noise.
    First you need to isolate the noise to the section and or stage of the amplifier.

You need to be able read the schematic and understand trouble shooting techniques. Swapping preamp tubes can help isolate or even cure the noise.
    I saw you rebuilt a Scott 233 awhile back. My father recently bought one, all original, and he's having some issues. Distortion, etc. He recently got throat cancer, this was supposed to lift his spirits, and now hes just more upset obviously

He wants to have it recapped but keep that original sound

Not many techs near us. Would u be willing to do what you did on yours for him? Not sure what you'd charge.
    Thanks
    billyz
    billyz
    Im sorry to hear about your father. I am retired myself. Where are you located? I would consider it , but not promise. First, i would need pics and more info.
    I did mine for myself and really did not consider the cost . But, we can discuss it.
    Again , i am sorry your father has cancer. My father died of cancer.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom