Recent content by billyz

1. billyz

Film caps from Aliexpress? thanks

I have purchased small 1uf film caps from Ali Express and they also test spot on. I have used them to build guitar pedals and they sound and perform great.
  2. billyz

Film caps from Aliexpress? thanks

I re capped a pair of Sansui sp200's and used a few Audiophiler caps which I purchased from CE Distribution. They look the same as the ones in your link. I tested them and they test spot on and sound pretty good. I have no illusions that they are comparable some big name brand.
  3. billyz

Which soldering station would you buy?

Been using a Weller Wes51 forever. I can hot change tips with pliers.
  4. billyz

Mesa Boogie 6L6GC tubes any good for audio amplifiers

I agree, those black shrink wrapped 12ax7's were the best.
  5. billyz

Mesa Boogie 6L6GC tubes any good for audio amplifiers

Slightly off topic, I was a Mesa Dealer and service tech for a time. The Mesa DC3's that I sold were biased a little too hot . After consulting with the Mesa engineers , they told me "yeah we biased them too hot" and instructed me on how to rebias them cooler ( for the Mesa branded el84's)...
  6. billyz

Any slide players in the house?

Yes , exactly .
  7. billyz

The Flair is perfect for a Strat or tele neck .
  8. billyz

Taking up Chess...

Chess.com will match you up against Live players from all over the world that are Rated for your level. The Chess Bots are good for trying out new opening and tactics. The Puzzles are a must and will help you recognize Patterns. They also will analyze your games , show you where you can...
  9. billyz

I play in various tunings and even Standard tuning. If I am playing in a tuning I prefer to use a Wine Bottle neck, that I make myself. They are easy and fun to make. I use my ring finger for Bottle neck and open tunings. But I often play in Standard tuning and then I use a Metal Pinky slide...
  10. billyz

Taking up Chess...

Learn Some openings . The London system is very good for White, my other favorite White Opening is the Ruy Lopez and the Italian. Learn The Caro Kann for Black and I also like the Nimzo Indian. I am trying to learn the Sicilian Dragon.
  11. billyz

Taking up Chess...

Sign up at Chess.com . Lots of Bots to play, lots of tutorials. lessons. Play strangers at your own level, play friends etc. Load on your phone too.
  12. billyz

Do you let your animal (dog or cat) range free outside for most of the day?

We would never let our pets range free. We have a fenced in yard .
  13. billyz

Gibson GA20T Ranger

Here you go. https://www.westfloridacomponents.com/AXM207APP02/0.25uF+.25+uF+200V+2%26%2337%3B+Axial+Polyester+Film+Capacitor+Wesco+CM03Y.html
  14. billyz

Gibson GA20T Ranger

It’s been awhile and I don’t exactly remember. I am pretty sure I tested it and was good. Also, the voltage on it is around 25v and the cap is rated for 400v ? I may have left it in as it is impossible to find that value. It is a very high quality cap for the day and is not stressed at all.
  15. billyz

Questions on recapping Sansui speakers SP-2000 and Sp-2500

For the SP 2500 crossover it is easier to clip the capacitors out , leaving a long tail wire still connected to the pcb board. Then wrap and solder the new capacitor to the existing tail wires. Otherwise you will need to do some work to get to the back side of the board to desolder and resolder...
Back
Top Bottom