Recent content by bjarmson

1. B

Sony TA-N86 conundrum

ovaeasy, thanks for the suggestion. The issue is not whether the info on the The VintageKnob is true or not. However, it is about the only place where this kind of info can be found. I wish Axel was still upgrading and adding info to the site, but maybe he has a life. What do you need pictures...
  2. B

Sony TA-N86 conundrum

Recently picked up a TA-N86 (with no B, silver-face not grey). Just realized from research on the internet this unit was only sold in Japan. Checking out the back for voltage, noticed the Sony label was cut and removed just after the serial number, so I no voltage information. Has a standard US...
  3. B

And yet one more C-50 pproblem

I know, yet one more C50 with a problem, but let's keep the ball rolling. Recently picked up a C-50 to go with my B-2. Had been using, and returned to using, my Sony TA-2000F, which is in exceptional shape and sounds great, but hardly matches the B-2's basic black looks. When the C-50 arrived I...
  4. B

Nakamichi nirvana?

For anyone who covets Nakamichi classic gear and lives in the Springfield IL area...
  5. B

Should I possibly upgrade power amps? If so to what

Keep them. These were $700 amps in 1977 and are quite rare. The L series is TOTL Kenwood gear, and the 09Ms were the biggest and best amps of this group. Now that you've rebuilt them, unless you're planning to buy something in the $5,000/10,000 range, you're unlikely to get anything superior...
  6. B

Sony TA 2000f

Used the 2000F/ 3200 combo, along with a ST-5000F tuner, for some 5 years. First powered a pair of Polk SDA IIs and presently Audio Physic Tempos (both 4 ohm speakers) without a hitch, all the while sounding magnificent. Have recently replaced them with a Yamaha B-2/C-50 combo and the same...
  7. B

Sony TA 2000f

Used the 2000F/ 3200 combo, along with a ST-5000F tuner, for some 5 years. First powered a pair of Polk SDA IIs and presently Audio Physic Tempos (both 4 ohm speakers) without a hitch, all the while sounding magnificent. Have recently replaced them with a Yamaha B-2/C-50 combo and the same...
  8. B

SOLD AS-IS, Parts or Repair only - No Returns ?

I've used eBay since before the turn of the millennium, some 800+ purchases and used PayPal almost from its inception without problems. There is really no other option for a selection of classic audio gear. I've found it the best way to get quality for your money, especially on higher-priced...
  9. B

VFET amp missing VFETs

It does seem you got what was described. Live with it. That said, it also sounds as if you also have a Sony TA-4650 VFET with one pair of good VFETs. Since these have become unobtanium you have two choices: 1) Resell the amp as a parts unit containing one good pair of VFETs, 2) Buy another...
  10. B

Little Feat?

Just bought 'Hoy Hoy', Little Feat outtakes, mostly with Lowell George. For the Little Feat obsessive, but once you're hooked it's hard to get enough. I started thinking about why Little Feat wasn't more popular. It hit me that that reason is the same as why they were so good, in two words...
  11. B

Little Feat?

55Redneck, good luck finding a vinyl copy of 'Little Feat'. It hardly sold at all and is now a collector's item. Don't know if was ever rereleased on vinyl. You can get a CD version off of eBay cheap. George left the band after 'WFC' was released, recorded (or finally finished) a solo album...
  12. B

Little Feat?

Little Feat after George's departure was never as good. How could it be, Lowell George was a genius. Sort of like the Allman Brothers Band after Duane died, a great band, but not as good as the original. It's worth it, if you're a fan, to search out a copy of the band's first album...
  13. B

Sony DVP-7000 as a cheap CD player

The Sony CDP-508ESD CD player I was using in my office system started blipping sound /no sound. Oh oh, laser is probably going bad. I remembered talking in another thread about using the 7000 as a main CD player. Eureka! I have several 7000's stored whose video is compromised in some way. Pulled...
  14. B

Sony DVP-S7700

The Sony CDP-508ESD CD player I was using in my office system started blipping sound /no sound. I remembered talking in this thread about using the 7000 as a main CD player. Eureka! I have several 7000's stored whose video is compromised in some way. Pulled one out and plugged it into my system...
  15. B

The Holy Grail

I've heard the Yamaha site has archive copies of almost everything. Might try there.
Back
Top Bottom