Recent content by Bones13

1. Bones13

Need speaker ideas for a very small room

I have a similar sized room - 9.5 x 14 foot. I do use the short wall for the speakers, because of windows, and a hall that opens into my room. I have done well with room treatment, and avoiding rear-ported speakers. Have a look at speaker set up for "near field" listening. With the equilateral...
  2. Bones13

Trying to fix a Mc60

I have my dad's MC60s from the early 60s. I did get them re-done by a guy about an hour away. Replaced most the caps, and out of spec resistors. In particular he replaced the problematic diode (germanium?) and re-specced the power supply to handle the ~125vac that is common now-a-days. They...
  3. Bones13

Behind the times.

Behind the times.
  4. Bones13

MC 30 or MC40.....

It was an easy choice! My dad passed down his MC60s. Halfway through renovation now, I hope to pick them up in a couple of weeks.
  5. Bones13

Beats vs the Others

I have listened to the Beats products at Best Buy, via my iPhone with my common artists. (Norah Jones, Nickel Creek, Enya, AC/DC) Closed phones - limited sound stage vs open ones like my HD650 and HD800s. But this is the common for closed headphones. Too much bass. At 56, I have lost enough...
  6. Bones13

Headphones for a Pono?

I did listen to the EL-8 (closed) headphones with my Pono at Axpona this April. A very good match, and I was listening to Norah Jones hi-res for my listening trial. As I understand it there will be a cable available one of these days to listen to the Pono in balanced mode with the EL-8...
  7. Bones13

Show Off Your Small Listening Space

I got relaxed just looking at it. Nice work.
  8. Bones13

OK I AM An IKEA Believer

I have used a 4x4 Expedit shelf for records and heavier for the past 8 years. It is unchanged, despite a house move. The panels are stressed-skin panels made of various parts of cardboard, and pressboard, with a hard skin finish. Very strong and light. Recommended. Would it hold up to a...
  9. Bones13

Class A,on the way!

I do like my class A amp (DIY Aleph J) There is a different feeling to the music compared to my class AB1 amp (DIY AudioNoteKits EL34 PP). While the AB1 amp is a bit more authoritative with bass (it is 35 watts compared to the 20 watt Aleph) there is a sweetness to the class A sound that you...
  10. Bones13

Retouching existing solder joints

+1, and get some lead containing solder before the PC police outlaw it.
  11. Bones13

How to solder ground on shielded DIY interconnects - both ends or one only?

You, of course, need 2 conductors to carry the signal. If you are using coax cable, the shield is one of the connectors, and you have to connect both ends. When you have 2 wire cable, and a metal foil/mesh shield, you use the 2 wires for the signal/ground, and you connect the shield to the...
  12. Bones13

DIY Harbeth 40.1

Custom, proprietary drivers - check Custom, optimized crossover - check Custom cabinet with "the right" resonance - check It should be that you can get "similar" drivers, and through trial and error get a cabinet and crossover tweaked to "close". DIY work is fun. I have tried speakers...
  13. Bones13

Superchunks — 17x17x24 vs. 24x24x34?

Thanks guys. I am currently upgrading my Zu Audio Essence speakers to the new Zu Audio Druid V. Not that that will change any of my bass issue this go around. I will consider some small subs for next iteration. 2 smaller subs look to be about the same cubic feet as 3-4 of the tuned Scorpio...
  14. Bones13

Superchunks — 17x17x24 vs. 24x24x34?

I have GIK Acoustic TriTraps almost full highth in the corners with the speakers. One stack is 8 ft high, and the other is 7, as the ceiling slopes. I have a 4 inch x 24 inch x 48 inch bass trap on the back wall. I still have a 40hz mode in my small room. None of these conventional traps...
  15. Bones13

Show Off Your Small Listening Space

Well, how bout enough room to open a door, room for a chair, and put the iPod in your lap, and listen to headphones? Tongue in cheek for sure. Room size minimum will depend on how you are going to listen. You could set up a decent nearfield setup on your desk with much smaller room, and with...
Back
Top Bottom