BOUXY
      Still hangin in there!:)
      1. BOUXY
        BOUXY
        Barely hangin' in here:)
        Nov 9, 2016
    3. BOUXY
      BOUXY
      Yes I get that splitting effect almost all the time on most of my Smooth Instrumental Jazz Tunes!My W90's have Block Legs,2 in front and 1 dead center rear and they are not that high maybe 2-3 " at most and it places Tweeters at Ear/Eye level for me just right for my favorite listening Chair.Doesn't say anything really about the Pedestals or show their sizes or any Pics on them it just mentions them....Rick:)
    4. Gang-Twanger
      Gang-Twanger
      Had to split this into two separate posts. It won't let you post more than 1000 characters.

I love how that dual-mid/tweeter array (in EACH cab) sometimes splits up the instruments on certain multi-tracked recording (like on a lot of 16 and 24-track classic-rock/pop recordings). So, when you put your ear up to the mid/tweeter pair on the left side of the cab, you hear completely-different instruments/voices than what you hear when you move your head over to the RIGHT side of the cab. It doesn't happen with ALL music, but it happens a lot. A good example is music with a horn section. Sound-engineers/producers will often have those horns panned to the outer-left and outer-right of the soundstage, and the W90 design seems to take full advantage of that (How they managed it with such a simple-looking crossover, I haven't a clue). Quite a thing on recordings where the image is wide and well-centered.
    5. Gang-Twanger
      Gang-Twanger
      Yeah, I had always assumed that the version we both have was a highboy-type, but I could never seem to find anything to confirm it. I have to think that the highboy version has the better sound, having the mid/tweeter array positioned higher like that.

Does it say how tall the factory pedestal is? I put together some homemade stands with concrete blocks and simple veneered 12"x36" boards from Home Depot, which allowed me to try different heights without too-much hassle (Right now, I have mine at just a hair under 10 inches off the floor, which more or less puts the tweeters at eye-level).
    6. Gang-Twanger
      Gang-Twanger
      Oh wow, that's cool. I've got copies of brochures for the W90C and W90D (Found those online), but the only thing I could find on the early version like you and I have is a small PDF copy of some brochure/promo page that listed the driver-materials and a few quick specs like power-handling (40wpc) and crossover points. It's funny you mention about raising them on pedestals. That's exactly what I'm doing with mine. Seems to smooth out the tweeters when you get them up a bit (I have mine so the tweeters are at eye-level). I have yet to find a Wharfedale model that didn't benefit from a little extra height. - Derek
  • About

Birthday:
    Aug 17, 1947 (Age: 69)
    Retired Musician
    Audio Lover

Vintage Audio:

Signature

Viking SC-5814 Fisher ST460's R/S Nova 7B's APM-500 Power Meters Dual CS-627Q TT Yamaha CDP 635 ADC SS- 215 EQ Pioneer CT-W900R Toshiba PT-862D & Panasonic RS-790S R2Rs