Recent content by Bradbrews

1. Bradbrews

What are these capstan motors from?

Or are they not even capstan motors? These came in a box from a friend’s dad that was obviously the parts box for old electronics. I see brushes in there and what looks like a tape drive roller.
  2. Bradbrews

Sick and tired of buying RCA cables for vintage gear

I’ve loaded up, shorter, longer, better ones, and some of the vintage ones with small diameter plugs. Haven’t had a dud yet. The last time I went there was the first time I actually didn’t paw through the box. I did paw through the box of wall wart and switching power supplies looking for a...
  3. Bradbrews

Sick and tired of buying RCA cables for vintage gear

Probably not up to many people’s standards, but the local thrift store by me has a box full of rca cables for the princely sum of 9 cents each- 10cents after tax.
  4. Bradbrews

Beware the Slippery Slope

Were here. To some degree that means we’ve already found the rabbit hole. I just didn’t think I’d be considering recapping the shop speakers. — The 6th system, but one, though abused, is listened to possibly the most. It lives in the non temp controlled shop and has to deal. Hmmm, maybe I should...
  5. Bradbrews

Beware the Slippery Slope

It’s very easy to start sliding down, and once you lose footing you only slide faster! I’ve been toeing closer and closer to the line for a while now, but though I’ve lost my footing and slid down a ways I usually find some solid footing to stop the slide, at least temporarily. I acquired some...
  6. Bradbrews

Boston Acoustics T1030’s

So I rebuilt the crossovers on both. After some time listening I determined that the speaker that had the open tweeter cap was still dull. Using a Stereophile test CD with a treble decade track, I was able to determine that the tweeter has a substantial hole in its response in the 5k-6k range...
  7. Bradbrews

Why won't my iPod play through my DAC?

I would try getting a specific camera adapter cable. With the cables you have, can you connect to a pc and browse through all the files on the phone/ ipod on your pc? If you can’t, it’s certainly the cable.
  8. Bradbrews

NAD 3150 odd modification??

NAD sometimes did this. Don’t be concerned. The small value electrolytics in it- replace all of them. Anything 10uf and under were junk in my 3300.
  9. Bradbrews

Pays your monies and takes your chances

Lp’s are 50 cents at the local Salvation Army. I’ve got a few old jazz lps and a couple rock ones that had terrible jackets but good vinyl. Sometimes I gamble on old classical too, but there are so many versions and I seldom know what the good ones are. Regardless they all now go directly into...
  10. Bradbrews

Voice of Music 1264 changer

No sign of a weight ever being in the back. I suspect if I either got a new spring or made an anchor that stretched the spring another 1/4 inch I could get lighter weight if needed. The console is no longer intact. Mildew was the death of it. It permeated the grill cloth, all the particle board...
  11. Bradbrews

Vintage cartridge ID

Here’s the brown one. It doesn’t have VRII on it, only 1057.
  12. Bradbrews

Thanks for the info. I’ll look for a weight at the back of the arm. I first tried measuring the tracking force with my digital gauge but it just said FULL. This is with the spring fully extended.
  13. Bradbrews

I got this changer in an Airline console recently. I was told it was spinning but I didn’t try it for concern over the tube receiver. Tracking weight was set to 22 gms! Moving the spring fully forward dropped it to 4.6 gm. What cartridge is this?
  14. Bradbrews

Wards Airline Console

I put the receiver on a variac after I pulled the output tubes. At 30v I had 9vac on the chassis, flip the plug and it goes to 30vac. At 40v the chassis was up to 14vac! I checked the bumblebee coupling caps and got nanofarads and high leakage. This one needs service before anything else...
  15. Bradbrews

Cat guard !

You are part way to these cat proof grills!
Back
Top Bottom