Recent content by Brett a

1. Brett a

Post Your Bike!

Here's my daily commuter. A 2003 xl1200 Sportster. Just bought it last year. Put 7k miles on it (now up to 24,xxx)
  2. Brett a

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Meg Myers - Take Me to the Disco
  3. Brett a

Old timers who had good stereo systems in the late 50s/early 60s - how did they compare to today?

Modern systems benefit from decades of advancement in measuring ability, materials, design, and manufacturing. There's no doubt modern systems perform better on objective levels. What a person prefers is a personal thing. And what an old timer is familiar with today is also a factor. Maybe...
  4. Brett a

Storing Records In Order

The most important thing to keep in mind is that it only has to work for you. Pay attention to how you think. Last time you were looking for _________, where was the first place you looked? In other words, how are they already sorted in your mind? I have about 2,000 LPs stored with with plastic...
  5. Brett a

Show your Bicycle !

Yes, I've been mounting biking in the north Quabbin area since the mid-80's. A lot of the terrain out here is is what you might call "demanding". Lots of grunt work through rock gardens.
  6. Brett a

Show your Bicycle !

I have a lot of bicycles. Here are the ones that get ridden most: 2021 Orbea Oiz TR: 2015 Borealis Echo: 2008 Specialized Roubaix And probably the one that gets ridden the most, a 2016 Surly Disc Trucker. I live in New England, but I've ridden it through Death Valley and the Mojave NP a...
  7. Brett a

Started a side hustle polishing turntable lids

I've got a car detailing/paint correction set up myself and have done a few TT lids. Very satisfying.
  8. Brett a

When AK members - friends - silently disappear

I do have a set of Sennheiser HD 600's but it's just not the same as having the room involved. -or I should say the system is optimized for speakers
  9. Brett a

Hello friends, it's been a while...

Welcome back, Paul! The last time I saw you was at Frank's shop probably ten years ago. Good to see you here.
  10. Brett a

When AK members - friends - silently disappear

Good to see I was missed by someone, and surprised it's been that long. Zebra's post here was from 2016. I left my job in 2013 and started a driving business. I was always on the road and not on a computer that often. I had also reached a point of contentedness with my system, so it wasn't so...
  11. Brett a

April 13th 2024 FrankenFest in West Boylston, MA - & T-shirts

Hi all. I've been out of the hobby a while and need to purge a few hundred LPs and some assorted gear. I haven't been to one of these since it was at Frank's shop. (The first one I attended was at Frank's house (may he RIP)). Is there anything I need to do to ensure I can have a table?
  12. Brett a

So, what’s your best sounding record…?

It really depends on what you like in a recording too. I love those old early recordings that are basically like a mic in the room with the musicians. I'm not much into bright, sharp, studio sound.
  13. Brett a

Coathangers vs. super-cables -- are these tests for real?

It is an interesting conversation even though it never resolves. The only legitimate way to address it, IMO, is to get several sets of cables and check for yourself. Some cables sound different than other cables. And the difference isn't tied to price. And different isn't always better or worse...
  14. Brett a

So, what’s your best sounding record…?

My go-to LPs are Thelonious Monk's August 1958 dates at the Five Spot, released as Misterioso and Thelonious in Action. It's a real "fly-on-the-wall" recording with the room being as present in the recording as the instruments. I was amazed at how 3-dimentioal the Five Spot became when I get a...
  15. Brett a

Happy Birthday Brett a!

Thanks, everyone! I'm not around here as much as I used to be, but I love stopping in every once-in-a-while to see you all keeping it going! All the best to you.
Back
Top Bottom