Recent content by Cathead45

1. Cathead45

KLH model 5 crossover rebuild?

after 3 months at my local speaker guys I went and got them back, he had not done one thing to them. Ordered the caps and dug into it. Never did this before but it was not that hard. The speakers sound amazing. For under $60.00 the difference is across all ranges. I would recommend this to...
  2. Cathead45

Found this at the re-store in a pile next to dumpster

The inside with a paint brush and vacuum. The outside I used "Wesleys Bleach white" spray on a toothbrush and clean small areas wiping dry to avoid getting components wet. The knobs went onto a bowl of dawn dish soap and scrubbed with a cloth. DeoxIT on the moving parts.
  3. Cathead45

Feet are there, that table has padding so it sinks in. Just put it there for photos. He He...what smile?
  4. Cathead45

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Robin Trower on a Pioneer SX-780, KLH model 17's, Pioneer PL-A35D and liking what I'm hearing.
  5. Cathead45

There it sat in a pile next to the dumpster. I looked at it and almost left it there. Brought it home plugged it in and nothing! I opened it up blew out the controls with compressed air and gave each one a shot of DeoxIT then let it set for about an hour. plugged it in again and the one face...
  6. Cathead45

Pioneer SX-780 not working on one channel - what to do?

My now best friend in the whole world gave me his SX-780 and told me the left channel is not working. I am as dumb as a stick when it comes to the electric end of almost everything. There is a guy locally who works on vintage equipment that I will contact when he gets back from hunting. I wonder...
  7. Cathead45

KLH Owners...5 or 6?

Thanks for the input. Based on much valued information I think I will pass on the 6's at this point. My 5's did sound wonderful and are sitting in the closet while our local speaker guru is recapping the crossovers. I sealed the cloth surrounds and removed the corks and filled the holes with...
  8. Cathead45

KLH Owners...5 or 6?

Has anyone done a side by side between a model 5 vs. model 6? I have a pair of 5s and a chance to get a very nice pair of 6s (not cheap). Your opinion is appreciated.
  9. Cathead45

Jensen fabric accordion surround treatment?

Here is what I could find on these units. The middle page has them identified in the lower right had corner, they are the "Utility Unfinished" units.
  10. Cathead45

The speakers actually have a very strong low end and seem to have good movement. I think It would be hard or nearly impossible to find replacements for a 10 1/4" dia. I can hardly find any information on these units. Jensen did not make them for very long, 1961 to 1963 as far as I can tell. The...
  11. Cathead45

KLH model 5 crossover rebuild?

Well, I pulled my crossovers and they are at a local guru for rebuild. I have sealed the surrounds, resealed the speaker mounting surfaces, and resealed the midrange box. When I got them apart there are two small holes (3/8") in the midrange where the wires go in to that chamber and there were...
  12. Cathead45

Thanks Biggles. I will enjoy them.
  13. Cathead45

I have a pair of 10 1/4" Dia. Jensen "Flat-Plane" woofers in 3-P/3 speakers. The woofer has a cloth accordion surround treatment like the Sigma and Flexair models. Does anyone know if and how I should treat these? The speaker is vented so an air tight seal (like AR & KHL) is not required. The...
  14. Cathead45

Jensen 3-P/3?

Great advice, thank you. Did you update your XO?
Back
Top Bottom