Recent content by cfranz

1. cfranz

Maggie needs new caps

Advice. Worth every penny you paid for it... 1) mfd same as uf. And voltage is not relevant as long as it's higher. That is, yours are rated at 25V, so anything higher then that will be OK. 1.5) The ones shown are polarized, that is, there is a real positive and negative terminal. Make sure...
  2. cfranz

Should I just toss this lp

A 3x, 5x, or even 7x Jewelers loupe can be found fairly cheap and is worth having around just for these really weird situations. I just saw a 20x for $6 on Ebay. That level of magnification, of course, is looney. You'd end up scratching the record just getting anything into focus.
  3. cfranz

Did you ever see this

$100,000... really? Not positive, of course, but I think I can build out that speaker systems for under $10K. :D
  4. cfranz

Help with really old record players...

There is a group of special ed students in Oak Park Illinois who repair stuff they find and then sell them. They have found a couple of old turntables (just barely electric :yes:). They could use some help and advice on repair, where to find needles etc. Garage-a-records, my go to guy for...
  5. cfranz

Does your bench look like this?

Hmmm..... Don't know. Haven't been down there since the badger attack. :D Anyone seen the kids?
  6. cfranz

Preamp Kits?

Hmmm... Interesting questions. I built several DIY Phono-Preamps. The limitations on almost all of the them are that they all boost about 40db. This is fine for Moving Magnet cartridges, won't run Moving Coil (maybe not even the high output ones). Never owned a Cambridge but I hear they...
  7. cfranz

Transmission Line speakers?

Wish I could help. I've got two pairs in my basement in the midst of a build. Then I had to work in a different city for a while... Maybe this summer. :dunno:
  8. cfranz

Any Michael Franks fan's on AK?

I have 6 or so, but Art of Tea and Skindive. Introduced to him by an Aussie girl I ws dating at the time.
  9. cfranz

Removing Black Silicone from woofer cone

It's probably covering a rip in the cone. But in any case, you will almost certainly have to re-cone the puppy.
  10. cfranz

Where to go next? Simpleton seeks advice.

2 pairs of Dynaco A-25 speakers. Pair of use Klipsch KG-4s. Plus, probably 50 other exceptional speakers used. the A-25s are both relatively small and really sweet sounding. Or, for that matter you can buy 1 pair of the A-25s and upgrade your cartridge.
  11. cfranz

The first REAL album you got into and how old were you.

The Kingston Trio - Live at the Hungry I Neil Diamond - Hot August Night Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord Weird, huh?
  12. cfranz

How is The Catman?

Give early, give often. Aussie Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org.au/default.asp Qeensland government: http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html Guy I do business with over there said that one of the rivers was 60 miles wide for a period of time.
  13. cfranz

SSgt Barry Sadler - Was this guy a fake?

A fake Air Force Corpman? Fake song writer? Fake what? I'm pretty sure I don't like the personal lives of many of the groups I listen to. Don't need to. Although I would surely prefer if I did. I did like the write up you provided. Interesting how life works out for people.
  14. cfranz

back to black? or used copies?

I've decided. I don't care. That's right, I have no opinion. Even moreso, I'm militant about it. I don't give a rat's patootie whether it's new vinyl, old vinyl, or even (mostly) a CD. Sorry. I feel better now.
  15. cfranz

Run, don't walk....

I always check out amps first, unless I saw them being used before I purchase them. Simplest thing to do is to put a small signal through them (a song with the volumn tured way down, put a 8 ohm, 10 watt resister across the speaker outs and measure for DC. But that's a very basic test. No DC...
Back
Top Bottom