Recent content by chathamdad

1. chathamdad

No Hurt Feelings - What speakers do you think sound terrible?

I heard a set of big B&Ws at Axpona over the weekend that made me flee the room.
  2. chathamdad

Suggestions for mini portable Bluetooth speaker

Plus 1 on this. I have a UE Megaboom and I take it all over the place when I travel. Its great and if it ever dies I'll get another. Amazing sound for such a small unit, especially bass. Plus, it doesn't monitor your conversations or bathroom rituals like Alexa or HomePod.
  3. chathamdad

Speakers for Vintage Audio System

That's a reasonable edit, I'll concur with that. "Reliability" was not the best word choice.
  4. chathamdad

C34V which amp

MC754. I believe that the 754/C34V combo is the guts of the MAC4300v receiver, which would certainly indicate excellent compatibility.
  5. chathamdad

Speakers for Vintage Audio System

I had a Marantz/ADS match-up for years and they were very compatible. But I agree with the above post that modern speakers would be a good choice for a number of reasons (not least of which is reliability). I just bought a pair of KLH Albany bookshelf units to go in a small system with a...
  6. chathamdad

The "new" KLH

Update after owning the Albany speakers for about 6 weeks. I have had them hooked up to a restored MAC1700 in a modest-sized living room. They are about 9 feet from my ears and 12" from the back wall. They've been playing a lot over the past month+ and have really opened up. They replaced a...
  7. chathamdad

4300v strange problem

I'm guessing you already resolved this but FWIW I'm pretty sure its the TV remote because I have the same issue with my Verizon FIOS remote and my MAC4300.
  8. chathamdad

What speakers?

For any McIntosh amp at or under 200 watts I would go with the Spendor D7.
  9. chathamdad

The "new" KLH

Because the last f**king thing in the world that I need is another set of speakers, I of course bought a pair of the Albanys at a KLH launch party at World Wide Stereo in suburban Philly last night. WWStereo is a great, longtime retailer in the Philly area, and carries the range from...
  10. chathamdad

Service experience with Audio Classics?

Multiple service transactions with them ( and a purchase or two) and they are the standard by which any company should model its own customer service. Never less than first rate.
  11. chathamdad

Multi-Speaker outputs a thing of the past?

Ultimately I have to agree with this sentiment. Right now, because I had to send the 4300 out for some overdue service, I'm running a Mc754 through a Niles SVC-4 switcher, and honest-too-goodness I cannot hear anything less than great McIntosh sound, even when all three speaker sets are dialed...
  12. chathamdad

Any Harbeth users here? What speaker and what amp?

Harbeth Compact 7ES-2s with (usually) my MAC4300v receiver. However, the 4300 is out for some routine service so right now the Harbeths are being pushed by an MC754 (with an NAD preamp). The Harbeths are just great, but you know that. They handle McIntosh solid state amps very well (in...
  13. chathamdad

As the father of a UMich sophomore I am required by law to accept as fact anything anyone in Ann Arbor says any time, about anything.
  14. chathamdad

Geez, you ask a simple question about extra speaker outputs and ............ :eek2:
  15. chathamdad

McIntosh 4300V Receiver Problem

I had the same problem about 10 years ago with my 4300. Determined it wasn't a speaker relay issue when I heard the same low-volume drop-out through the headphones. Sent it back to the factory and it was something in the output circuit ahead of the speaker relays (sorry, I'm not a tech). Had...
Back
Top Bottom