Recent content by chguat

1. chguat

Thrift Store Speaker Find: Acoustic Professional Model 312

White van!:rflmao: That's entirely possible, but they actually do sound pretty good.
  2. chguat

Thrift Store Speaker Find: Acoustic Professional Model 312

I have had a lot of good luck at the Lake Havasu City Goodwill at the end of snowbird season. Last year I picked up 3 turntables, 2 cassette decks, and 1 cd player there. I'm sure my wife doesn't appreciate it, but I sure do. Anyway, today I picked up a pair of Acoustic Professional Model 312...
  3. chguat

Generic stylus for old cart, or new cart altogether?

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. Sorry I didn't jump back on my own thread sooner, but things have been crazy. Anyway, due to a freak accident this weekend, we're going to have to replace a window on our house, which is going to wipe out my disposable funds for a bit. I will eventually go...
  4. chguat

Generic stylus for old cart, or new cart altogether?

So I recently picked up a Technics SL-Q3, and I officially love this turntable, but I want to get it paired with the best cartridge I can afford. It came with an Audio Technica MK14SII cartridge, which fetches a decent price on ebay these days, but OEM replacement styli are in the $130 range...
  5. chguat

Signet Hitec 103 Questions

Thanks for all your input, guys. This really helps quite a bit. I'd never seen anything like this cartridge as I tend to deal in the 1/2" variety on my main TT at home. Anyway, as luck would have it, I dug up an AT-95E which is in need of a stylus but will otherwise fit the bill. I did align the...
  6. chguat

Signet Hitec 103 Questions

I have a Signet Hitec 103 cartridge which came mounted on a Luxman P-100 turntable, which is part of my budget classroom vinyl setup (I teach high school English). Anyway, there is an almost complete lack of information on the Hitec 103 online, and as it is a strange little cart, I can't help...
  7. chguat

My practically free classroom turntable system

I wish I had Shakespeare on vinyl, but sadly I don't. I play jazz, folk, and other easy listening stuff for my students, and save the harder rock and metal for when I'm grading their papers. ;)
  8. chguat

My practically free classroom turntable system

I'm a high school English teacher, and it seems these days it seems I spend more time in my classroom than I do at home. This being the case, I wanted to piece together a system which would allow me to listen to all my records when I'm putting in extra hours grading and planning. Anyway, all the...
  9. chguat

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

I already posted this over in the Marantz forum, but I picked up a clean and working Marantz 2265 from Goodwill...for $6.99. Here it is on top of my 2252B.
  10. chguat

Picked up a 2265 at Goodwill

So after work I got a chance to pull it apart (much easier to service than my 2252B, by the way) and deoxit all the pots, switches, jacks, etc. Worked all the moving parts to knock the rust out, and put her back together. It was surprisingly clean inside, and I might be mistaken but the speaker...
  11. chguat

Thanks, guys. When I was checking out at Goodwill, I fully expected the clerk to say, "Oh, this is a mistake. We put the wrong price tag on there." But I got it out the door and didn't look back. I wonder if I'll be seeing more finds like this in the future. We just moved here to Lake Havasu...
  12. chguat

So today I paid a visit to my local Goodwill because my wife called to let me know that they have the same teacups Jean Luc Picard used in Star Trek: The Next Generation. Anyway, I hopped over and picked up the teacups for a song (they can actually get pricey on ebay due to the Star Trek...
  13. chguat

Is this Who LP collectible?

Definitely an old bootleg and definitely collectible. Back in the day there were bootleggers who put almost as much time and effort into their bootlegs as the record companies put into the albums. I have a couple Rubber Dubber bootlegs, and the quality is surprisingly good.
  14. chguat

Your Latest Additions (LP)......

In my latest trip to Bookman's, a great Arizona establishment which sells used books/music/video games/instruments/other cool stuff, I picked up these prizes. I was looking for some more opera for my collection, and I scored some Domingo and Bjorling, who are my two favorite tenors. The box...
  15. chguat

Pro-ject Debut III, Micro Seiki MB-10 or Technics SL-J1

I'm not crazy about the Technics SL-J1, mostly because I just don't like linear turntables at all. I have no experience with the Micro Seiki MB-10, but a friend owned an MB-14, which is presumably in the same family. It was a nice no-frills TT with a solid plinth and a decent tone arm. I...
Back
Top Bottom