Recent content by ChicagoTom

1. ChicagoTom

The P-Mount owners club

I have the SL-QD33, and have enjoyed swapping over a dozen different P-mount cartridges on it. At your budget, I've really enjoyed the Grado Black2 and I hear the Black3 is notably better - and I hear none of the dreaded "Grado hum" on this table. I also endorse the Buanadha's suggestion of a...
  2. ChicagoTom

Review of Fosi Audio V3 Stereo Amplifier

Hmmm, I went back to look at reviews for the T20 and only noted one who claimed that using cans did not turn off the speakers, so I must have gotten the Fosi mixed up with the SMSLs. There were a number of complaints about poor quality headphone sockets, but I think you are correct SeeDee - this...
  3. ChicagoTom

Thanks prisoners. To be clear, I need an amp that will drive both cans and speakers, and I have a JDS Labs DAC that I am happy with. I looked at the SMSL options on Amazon, and all the ones that have a headphone jack also have Bluetooth and/or a DAC, which I do not need or want in my office...
  4. ChicagoTom

Thanks SeeDee, but the Fosi has a deal-breaker flaw for me: using the headphone jack does NOT disable the speaker output when headphones are plugged in. Makes no sense to me at all. And I'm not going to unplug my speakers every time I want to listen to cans. Even the new T20X suffers the same...
  5. ChicagoTom

Okay, so based on this thread, I'm definitely interested in trying out one of these Class D amps for my office setup. But, I need headphone output. I'm not finding any Class D amp that also has a headphone jack - can anybody direct me to one, if they exist?
  6. ChicagoTom

Zelle or Venmo vs PayPal - am I protected as a seller? User tips?

Exactly which issue are you referring to? I'm happy to help, but be more specific.
  7. ChicagoTom

What tv show are you currently binging?

YES!!! I had the exact same reaction to his character as you, and never liked that actor in the past quite frankly. But he does a major turnaround and becomes quite endearing. It's almost as if they fired the original writers and brought in a new crew mid-season. If you stick with it, you will...
  8. ChicagoTom

What tv show are you currently binging?

Boris!! Listen, I had the EXACT same reaction as you when I saw the first few episodes of Schit's Creek! Truth is, the 1st season kinda sucks. Most fans of the show will say the same thing. But I'm telling you, consider sticking with it. Every season after the first is just sublime: hilarious...
  9. ChicagoTom

Best Cover Songs

Just saw this for the first time today - would you believe T-Pain doing a BLISTERING cover of Black Sabbaths' "War Pigs?" Reminds me of when Funkadelic's heaviest moments (think "Maggot Brain").
  10. ChicagoTom

Fx Fargo series

or... the first wife, mother of the blinded son? So many very worthy candidates...
  11. ChicagoTom

45 rpm singles sound fantastic

I dabble in 45s, and probably own about a hundred or so. Can anyone make generalizations about which 45s might be the best bets for great sound? I'm sometimes stunned by how good some of my 45s sound, but even more often I am disappointed - and I wonder how much of that is because they were...
  12. ChicagoTom

Music Documentaries to Watch

There's a Little Richard documentary coming up in a week or two, I believe it's on HBO Max. Saw the trailer yesterday and it looks like it'll be really really good.
  13. ChicagoTom

Noisy Sansui SR-222

FWIW, I returned the table to the seller, who was able to repair whatever the issue was (I can't recall at this point), and I've been happily using it since.
  14. ChicagoTom

What's going to happen with all your audio gear after you kick off?

I'm thinking of this as well. I made a document named "In case of my unexpected demise" which has contact info for various people who might be interested in buying my vinyl, stereo gear, and my huuuuge collection of plastic airplane models. My brother has this doc, which also has all of my...
  15. ChicagoTom

Current status of sales and values of vintage gear

I'm thinking of this as well. I do have one grand-niece who is into vinyl, I've sent her a lot of albums. She's in college, but when she graduates, I'd love to hook her up with a nice system. Right now she's content with her Crosley (shudder). I gave a cute Panasonic receiver with round green...
Back
Top Bottom