Recent content by Chilibrother

1. Chilibrother

What was the the last audio-related item you purchased?

Found this on FB Marketplace for the price of a 12-pack. Replaced the rock-hard idler wheel and it runs like a charm. Amazingly all the auto changer functions work perfectly. Good bearings. Quite motor. Underneath I only found one blob of the dreaded amber Garrard "glue-lube". Everything else...
  2. Chilibrother

How do you refurbish receiver cases?

If most of the finish is still good then I clean with a white rag dampened with isopropyl alcohol, use the Howards Restor-A-Finish, then wax. That's what I did with my QR-6500 and I like how it turned out. I prefer to retain the original finish when I can. May need to touch up chipped corners...
  3. Chilibrother

Fisher "Studio Standard" RS-2015. Left channel cutting out.

Good call on your decision to go ahead and replace those items while you have the board out. That unit is definitely worth the effort.
  4. Chilibrother

The relay has a cover you have to remove. I've used strips of high quality typing paper soaked in solvent and often it will work - for about a week. As @ohm470k says once the contact plating is gone replacement is the only permanent fix. Once you have (repeatedly, if necessary) cleaned every...
  5. Chilibrother

Nice unit! Once you get the contact cleaner you need to clean every control. Volume, Balance, Speaker & Source Selectors, pushbuttons. Any of them can intermittently cause one channel to cut out. If that doesn't help I would first suspect the protection relay. I had the smaller RS2010 and my...
  6. Chilibrother

H.H. Scott Wood Cabinets Quesion

Pretty much finished for now. Cabinet lightly sanded and finished with Watco natural. Installed new feet. Originally the same screw attached the feet and then went on into the chassis. :confused: There are times (like now) I don't want the chassis screwed in. More proof that, as @kvflyer...
  7. Chilibrother

What's your ringtone?

"Turn To Stone" by Roy Buchanan
  8. Chilibrother

Thanks everyone! @zackthedog I saw those on the big box store websites but was hoping for something a little closer. Having said that, @Dave451 yours turned out really nice. @kvflyer confirmed my suspicion that it's not actually a Scott cabinet. Grill cutout is 4.5" x 11.5" I will say that...
  9. Chilibrother

Just picked up an LK-30 and was pleased that its cabinet was in excellent condition with the exception of the metal grill which was just a piece of metal screen painted gold. Inside of the cabinet has "294" written in several places. When I compared it to the Wide C cabinet that came with my...
  10. Chilibrother

Recommended cap list for a 4010s Teac?

Thanks for the advice. Not going to build a tube amp, but I have an H.H. Scott LK-30 that I just picked up and I know that it will take a pile of those!
  11. Chilibrother

Thanks @ARC Tech-109 Like I said earlier it seemed too easy:) Not that bad, seems to be enough slack in the harness to pull the switch unit forward. Replacing caps on the "six-pack" for the motors has gone easier than I expected.
  12. Chilibrother

I appreciate everyone's inputs - they seem to cover the entire spectrum. I'm going to take the middle ground and install the poly film caps I have sitting in front of me. My AR-40SL recording amp sounds dead quiet to me so I'm going to leave it be for the time being. At the risk of being...
  13. Chilibrother

Timing is everything. Almost done restoring a 4010SL (sounds great btw) and I have a sack full of 0.1 µF 630 V poly film caps showing up tomorrow. So does something bad happen if I don't use an actual snubber @rojoknox ? It was so simple I knew it had to be a trap!
  14. Chilibrother

Koss CM-1023 New Venture

Your cabinets appear to be in excellent condition - nice find! I don't know that the crossover caps age worse than others - it's the resistors that often create problems. The leads rust through. If none of the switches, in any position, cause a driver to cut out you are good. It could be that...
  15. Chilibrother

What is the OLDEST piece of audio gear you own?

I do have a pile of assorted old stuff. Knight Kit tuner and amp that the console is built around are from 1959. On top, a Scott LT-110 tuner from '61 plugged into my Stromberg Carlson ASR-433 from 1960. Driving a pair of Karlson K-12 enclosures that someone built using plans from a 1958 issue...
Back
Top Bottom