Recent content by Chip Chester

1. Chip Chester

Replace a TV, Movie, or Song Title Word With HEMORRHOID

Obi-Wan Kenobi https://www.ranker.com/list/best-obi-wan-kenobi-quotes/movie-and-tv-quotes
  2. Chip Chester

Replace a TV, Movie, or Song Title Word With HEMORRHOID

Doesn't count because it's a movie line: (waves hand discreetly) These are not the hemorrhoids you're looking for.
  3. Chip Chester

70's Kenwood Cassette Deck (KX-550) Beats My Entry-level Nakamichi??? (Pics)

I've had a couple of Kenwoods over the years, including when working in a studio. My $150 deck would just record the heck out of standard cassettes. The quality transferred to playback on other decks. Kept it around for sure. Didn't have any Nakamichi's around, but we had a pretty nice Marantz...
  4. Chip Chester

Ampex Cue-Mat magnetic recording mat / disc

I have a recorder/player for a competing format of that approach. It's paper-backed, about 10", and was made to be a mailable family-to-family recording format. Forget the trade name at the moment, and it's in storage, too. It's basically a turntable with a hold-down clamp, and a magnetic tape...
  5. Chip Chester

Fry's Closing

With Amazon talking about buying up shopping malls, I predict the return of the decades-gone Service Merchandise model: Showroom out front, with one example of each available item. Scan the QR code with your phone and it's waiting for you at the door when you leave, or shows up at your...
  6. Chip Chester

Ugghhh....Wife REALLY hates my cornwalls

Put everything floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall grille cloth... In her favorite decorator color. Good to go!
  7. Chip Chester

How are studio monitors different from other speakers?

Radically different technique between multitrack record/mixdown performances and straight-ahead classical music. And in non-film-soundtrack orchestral recording (wherein dynamics are as much for film sound effects as they are for musical effect,) there's probably not a lot of post-production...
  8. Chip Chester

I guess one other thing I neglected to mention in my previous screed is distortion. It takes an awful lot to make most studio monitors distort. One of he key things you're looking for when recording is unwanted* distortion. Your monitoring chain can't be the source of it, ever. You're...
  9. Chip Chester

Well, small ones are, at least. No shortage of non-nearfield monitors in soffits 10' or more away from the console. I've got NS-10s, JBL 4401, and Auratone monitors from my days in the studio. Larger JBL pairs were in the office and garage(!) before we moved. We'll see where they end up. I...
  10. Chip Chester

Splicing Blocks....

You can find wood (oak) versions on ebay for half that. Not a high-volume tool, but you're not doing high volume. Reminder to clean the razor blade with alcohol to remove the oil used during production to prevent rust while in storage, and to demagnetize it so you don't get audible thumps at...
  11. Chip Chester

A super rare maybe one of a kind console

I have one of those Bell RTRs, along with a service manual. I'm mid-move at the moment, but I'll get back with you in a few months when I'm in the new place. Wherever that turns out to be. :dunno:
  12. Chip Chester

3/4" plywood continues to kick my butt

And a follow-up to my own post... If you need to install drywall on a plastered wall, consider using thinner drywall directly over the plaster. Why? Because older plastered walls may have multiple shims in place to true up the lath, to create a level surface for the plaster. Ripping all that...
  13. Chip Chester

3/4" plywood continues to kick my butt

Rockler 'Material Mate' or similar product, if you do it a lot. https://www.amazon.com/Rockler-Material-Mate-Panel-Stand/dp/B0773N29R5 There are also "Ply Wheels" for 1/10 the cost. https://www.amazon.com/PlyWheels-plywood-dolly-drywall/dp/B00PE32UWO And the plastic grip extender things that...
  14. Chip Chester

Portable generator soundproofing?

"might a used Honda EU3000 be cheaper and possibly even more quiet?" That's what I have used since they came out ages ago. Great generator. Quiet as all get out. Waveform THD rivals audio amps. Big thumbs up. Big thumbs down on backfeeding a breaker, though. Not code, and dangerous for...
  15. Chip Chester

C'mon admit it..most uncool artist that you enjoy listening to

Didn't wade thru all 9 pages of posts, but I'll always listen to a Carpenter's tune whenever it pops up.
Back
Top Bottom