Recent content by chris_f

1. chris_f

Shure M95ED

If I find something I think might be worth picking up I will grab it and walk around the store while I google it lol. Missed out to many times.
  2. chris_f

Shure M95ED

Yep, thats a big ole snatch that sucker up and put a Jico stylus on it.
  3. chris_f

Dual turntable oil, grease, and other lube.

There are plenty of options, but you are going to spend what the cost of a quart of oil costs. https://www.amazon.com/Boca-Bearings-Lightning-Lube-Power/dp/B00E3F5CL0/ref=sr_1_7?crid=38UKQXBCNHE8V&dchild=1&keywords=boca+bearing+oil&qid=1635818112&sprefix=boca+bearing+oil%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-7...
  4. chris_f

AR XA Turntable Restoration #258023

If you only ground one shield the other one is effectively not shielded as any EMI will build up on the shield and have no place to go.. Tie both shields to ground, the question being whether that should be done at both ends of the cable or only one. I am just an amateur when it comes to some...
  5. chris_f

New guy, Exploring Options for New TT

Also subscribe and check Barter Town here, you can put up a WTB ad. DFW is big enough surely you could find something. Same for Audiogon, cant imagine you wouldnt find something close. Or worth shipping.
  6. chris_f

I have bought "parts" tables from goodwill online and received them well packaged with no damage. I think the dont buy online bit gets overplayed because of the negative internet bias and a handful of bad experiences. Message the seller, ask him if he has shipped turntables before. If he assures...
  7. chris_f

AR XA Turntable Restoration #258023

When cutting edge becomes bleeding edge and just makes a mess.
  8. chris_f

The vinyl resurge has really muddied the waters as well. Where as a few years ago turntables were either obviously cheap and throwaway or they were obviously quality units. Now there is a lot of expensive, mediocre middle grounds with big marketing budgets. When really their only claim to fame...
  9. chris_f

Original (used) or new vinyl?

As others have stated it really depends on what album. Sometimes new reissues will be better. Sometimes original pressings will be better. Sometimes a particular pressing from a particular master will be better. Then there is japanese vinyl. A LRS here has a contact in Japan that he gets a ton...
  10. chris_f

Having several I will agree the AR definitely. None of the newer tables you listed are really in the same league out of the box. As stated the AR really can punch way above its weight. I would be curious about the XA listed as well. First of all for a fully "sorted" XA that price is dirt...
  11. chris_f

AR XB New/Attainable MM cartridge recommendation

I sometimes browse through all of the cheap tables they have listed looking for a diamond in the rough cartridge. Bought an Akai table for like $24 that had an M91ED on it. Fixed the tonearm wires and put a different cart on it and made $100 off the table and I have the M91 :)
  12. chris_f

I agree with what mkane said, Grado and AR turntables must have been designed for each other. My Gold cart needs a new stylus, it sounds very good with the Black stylus but it also just doesnt do it justice. I really like the sound of the Ortofon, I would say its nearly as good as the Grado. At...
  13. chris_f

I have experienced mine with a Grado Gold cartridge with the original stylus as well as Grado Black stylus. Also have an Ortofon OM-10. Have an AR XA that I just finished up with an M91ED and JICO stylus ( non SAS) and they all sound fantastic. I havent experienced an ADC cart so have no...
  14. chris_f

Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

Finally finished up the XA I have had stored away recently. Technics tonearm damped the morin way, rewired with cardas wire, installed RCA jacks, eliminated that little wire block that breaks and soldered everything directly to the RCA jacks, replaced the power cable, the platter thrust plate...
  15. chris_f

Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

AR XB original owners manual. https://www.vintageshifi.com/repertoire-pdf/pdf/telecharge.php?pdf=Acoustic-Research-XB-1-Owners-Manual.pdf
Back
Top Bottom