Recent content by Cosmo-D

1. C

Replace turntable or cart - interesting advice from a stereo salesman

Denon makes several options that are LOMC in $300–500 range. I want to get a 301 mk. II at some point. The frequency response on that bad-boy is flat. The only thing I've seen that comes close is the AT-ART1000 which is like a $5000 cartridge. I'd rather a Technics SL-Q1 than some overpriced...
  2. C

Are screws from Pioneer Elite models compatible with earlier ones? Looking for C-90 cabinet screws

The DVL-91 looks like it has the exact same sides as well. Would you happen to know where to get the screws for these? I can't find the part code to search for it.
  3. C

Are screws from Pioneer Elite models compatible with earlier ones? Looking for C-90 cabinet screws

I don't listen to a lot of radio and I only have a handful of cassettes (I might get more someday there are underground metal labels that release exclusively on cassette). Is the DVL-91 cheaper than other LD/CD players? I mostly care about the look. In my mind I'd like to have everything...
  4. C

I have a tap and die set somewhere. I could probably do this. I've never rethreaded something with already existing threads though. Seems like a recipe for disaster.
  5. C

Yeah, I don't think I am going to be picking up the LD any time soon. My LD is player is fine for the moment, but I do want one of the ones that plays CDs. The next thing I am planning on getting (probably in the very far future) is the M-90 power amp which is like 700 bucks or more. The C-90...
  6. C

I don't think they're M8. An M4 screw fits, but is the wrong thread.
  7. C

I bought a Pioneer C-90 and it came sans cabinet screws to hold the wooden sides on. I've looked for the exact replacement but they are unavailable. I noticed that later Elite models (from say 1997) also have bolt-on wooden sides. Would the screws from say a VSX-09TX (or similar) be a suitable...
  8. C

Shouldn't every DAC by design sound pretty much identical?

I'll look into it. The RCA model sells for a paltry $199. I haven't built myself a media server yet, so a USB DAC isn't useful to me right at this moment. It's on my list of things to do eventually, but I have so few opportunities to listen to stereo I haven't gotten around to it. When I do...
  9. C

Interesting. I am not well-versed at all on digital audio. I don't have much of an educational background in science or math (I got like a 65 in first-year linear algebra). My cheap-o Harmon/Kardon HD200 circa 1989 doesn't sound deficient at all to me when playing CDs. The drawer mechanism is...
  10. C

So as I understand it digital audio is basically the original waveform, but viewed through the lens of PCM, Nyquist theorem, whatever. Given the same sampling rate, encoding method, et cetera a particular analog sound should always produce the same bits provided the volume and what-have-you is...
  11. C

Is it possible to replace the feet on Sony PS-X800 with an aftermarket option?

Are these the ones you are talking about: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/4-SONY-PS-X7-Turntable-Isolation-Feet/332688296500?hash=item4d75c48a34:g:vrcAAOSw3tBbJSBz? They certainly look like they would solve all my problems.
  12. C

My original post has a picture of them. The threaded section is approximately 8mm wide (including the threads) with about 1.5mm between the tops of each of the threads. I can't really get precise measurements. EDIT: It appears that Sony uses M8 threaded bolts for its feet.
  13. C

Good call. I did get the feet out today, but I am not confident I'll be able to do it again. The pads of the feet aren't actually attached to shaft, so it relies on friction between the rubber/shaft interface in order to generate to spin the shaft. This friction between the threads and the shaft...
  14. C

I guess I have the one that is waiting for the epoxy to dry off of the unit. I was so flustered I forgot about it. Once the epoxy sets I'll measure it. I was contemplating buying a set of PS-X7 feet as they look they don't have that problem with the rubber.
  15. C

I hate the feet on my Sony PS-X800. They are impossible to adjust and I broke on of the threaded sections trying to get it out (I'm currently waiting for the epoxy to set hopefully it will go back in). Are there replacements available? The feet are composed of 2 sections: a plastic "cup" which...
Back
Top Bottom