Recent content by cpt_paranoia

1. cpt_paranoia

1980s First Generation Compact Discs - Do They Sound Good or Not?

Out of ~3500 CDs I've got, I have 9 made my PDO (Philips DuPont) in Blackburn UK that have suffered from 'bronzing'. 5 of those will not rip at all, or play without problems. he other four have partial rips. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_disc_bronzing Maybe the Beatles were prescient...
  2. cpt_paranoia

Is Streaming the best thing that’s ever happened to listening to music?

I think it has always been very rare that the average musician can make a lot of money; it's only ever been a tiny fraction of bands or musicians who 'hit the big time'. And, even then, so many had signed away huge %ages of their earnings to managers and record companies.
  3. cpt_paranoia

Do I need a streamer?

If you get a streamer, it will need to have access to your music files; either a server on your network, or a disk conbected directly to the streamer. A server could be a NAS, or a computer with file sharing enabled, or your router may have a basic file and media server function for a USB HDD...
  4. cpt_paranoia

If vinyl sounds better than digital, am I using the wrong DAC?

Ah, the old 'steps' misconception. The reconstruction/imaging filter does the fairly simple job of 'making impulses fluid'. To a level well below vinyl SNR. The ear and brain don't receive, or hear impulses.
  5. cpt_paranoia

I don't think it's an overlaid graph. I think it's a 'stacked graph'. Where the numbers of each media are shown stacked one on top of the other. I mean, I'm pretty sure 8-track wasn't out-selling all other media in 1982...
  6. cpt_paranoia

The Loudness Wars is hardly 'my story'; it's a widely discussed, analysed and criticised phenomenon. If it wasn't producers perpetrating it (even if under corporate pressure to do so), who was it? It's hardly a diatribe to point out the Loudness Wars, or that streaming services optimise for...
  7. cpt_paranoia

My point was that they did it. Knowingly or not. I thought you were holding up producers as paragons of audiophile goodness; I was pointing out that they are not... I alluded to your 'greed' with my 'corporate influence'
  8. cpt_paranoia

Why I don't bother with genre...

Searching for 'metal' on the engenremap page yields 392 matches... One of the 'weird names' was 'shoegaze'. There are 29 'gaze' sub-genres...
  9. cpt_paranoia

https://mapofmetal.com/ The engenremap has far more than 30 metal sub-genres...
  10. cpt_paranoia

Anyone know what the Italian for 'troll' is...? I feel the ignore button is about to come into play...
  11. cpt_paranoia

You can't hear the vinyl noise because it is about 75dB down. My point is that digital artefacts are about another 20dB down on that vinyl SNR. So if you can't hear the vinyl noise, you certainly won't be able to hear the digital artefacts.
  12. cpt_paranoia

When I ripped my CD collection back in 2010, and with all subsequent purchase rips, I decided to be very minimal with sub-genre classification; it was just too hard to decide, and I didn't really understand all the weird names I sometimes encountered. It was hard enough deciding between Rock and...
  13. cpt_paranoia

And yet they perpetrated the Loudness Wars. With the most egregious examples having significant series of FSD, flat-top clipping. Sorry, but as a result, I don't have that much faith in the universal competence & integrity of corporate-influenced producers.
  14. cpt_paranoia

Do these solder joints look OK?

Looks like there has been a lot of rework in there; the machine soldering (wave) joints look well-formed, with sensible meniscus, and appear a little dull: that's normal. But a lot of joints look like they've been 'touched up', or have had solder added. The pins on the edge of the board have...
Back
Top Bottom