crhblack
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• No harm done! I'm an amateur at any type of electronic repair. I can kick myself for not buying a set of Mach Is earlier this year. A lady only wanted for $50 for them. They would have needed a foam job, but now I realize that isn't a big deal. If money wasn't an object I'd have some classic Tannoy, Bozak, or older Altecs in my living room. However I'm pleased with my modest collection. My best two speakers are some Pioneer HPM-100 I picked up for $50 and a set of Wharfedale W-70 I got for $10.
    Sorry the Pioneers didn't work out for you.

I need to apologize for my response to your soldering question, I (wrongly) assumed you were asking for advice on soldering, as if you were inexperienced. In which case, my answer was condescending. I should not have assumed.

If money was no object, I'd have a set of Khorns or Cornwall III's. But money is an object, and Realistic TOTL gear is hard to beat. I think you should try to score a set of Mach 1's (or 2's/3's). I would think you could have any of them for under $100. Unless you want to dump out a load of cash, this is going to be one of the better speakers for the buck (many on AK have them). Lots of parts available, lots of mod advice, I am VERY pleased with mine (I have 1's and 3's). Keep an eye out..........CL/eBay, something will come.

If money was no object, I'd have a set of Khorns or Cornwall III's. But then reality is where I have to play...................

James
    crhblack,

I do not have alot of experience with that, but I have soldered/desoldered this components before (just removed 2 caps from my 30-2020A EQ board last night). Not a big deal, the idea is to get the component out without burning anything up. I don't want to give the impression that I am some kind of expert on this, as I'm not. I've seen sloppy jobs that work just fine. Usually, for small components (circuit boards, etc.) I let my wife do it, because she did that for many years. If I think I can get my monkey hands in there without screwing anything up, I'll try it.

Is there a particulair issue you are concerned about? Do you just not know where to start? I'm sure there are plenty of good threads at AK if you can find them. If not, I can try to help.

Good luck with the Pioneers, I just passed up on a set at GW last week. No more speakers allowed in the house!

James
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom