Recent content by Dandy

1. Dandy

Tutorial: Tube amp build with layout steps and adoption of PCB circuit to point-to-point wiring?

This is a great thread. Could it be a sticky?
  2. Dandy

Worth of Pioneer SA-400

Good to hear that these were/are available under various other brands in the USA. I've never seen an Allied or Knight branded product in the UK.
  3. Dandy

Pioneer SM-B200 receivers

Can you give us more information about what you want the receiver for? Are you mainly interested in the radio function, or the amplifier section? I had a Pioneer SX82, an AM-FM multiplex receiver for a while. It was a lot of work to restore it to full operation and I was underwhelmed by the...
  4. Dandy

Worth of Pioneer SA-400

Reviving this ancient thread after another seven years, I happen to be listening to this amp now and am amazed again at the good performance of this little amp, which runs 4 x 6BM8s. To my mind, it is the ideal compact, bookshelf sized, tube amp with a very enjoyable sound. Good sense and more...
  5. Dandy

Heathkit SP-2 has landed

Thanks. I suspected that result. I think the preamp section of my AA50 suffers sonically from the same overload of ‘cool features’.
  6. Dandy

Heathkit SP-2 has landed

It will be interesting to hear your comparison of these two preamps. I have the Heathkit AA50, which has the same appearance as your SP2. I like that look very much, but I wouldn't say that it is my most revealing tube amp, even after extensive renovation.
  7. Dandy

pioneer Sm-b180

If your NAD amp has pre-out sockets at the rear (many older NADs did), then just plug the cables from your Dual into the NAD phono socket and then take the signal from the pre-out sockets of the NAD to any one of the Pioneer's inputs.
  8. Dandy

pioneer Sm-b180

The phono input may only be suitable for ceramic cartridges which are high output. So, if your Dual has a MM (moving magnet) cartridge, you'll either have to buy a ceramic cart or get a separate phono preamp. The latter could could be tube or solid state. An inexpensive SS one would be fine...
  9. Dandy

Pioneer SM-B200

It’s a bit worrying that the tech didn’t know how to find the schematic himself.
  10. Dandy

Heathkit AA-100

Tom Bavis a répondu à votre question : Alors ne le passez pas en mode bande. Sérieusement, il n'y a aucune raison d'utiliser une entrée pour tête de cassette - avez-vous déjà vu un magnétophone sans électronique ? Il pourrait être utile de mettre des fiches de court-circuit dans les entrées de...
  11. Dandy

Onix SP3 Bias reads 0.00

Keep an eye on your amp when powered up. The components in mine were not good quality and failed for no reason, e.g. The suppressor cap across the power switch failed and had to be removed before the switch would operate, and a 75k resistor (R17 or R18) burned out and had to be replaced. I...
  12. Dandy

Onix SP3 Bias reads 0.00

True, my comment was related to his inability to check bias voltage.
  13. Dandy

Onix SP3 Bias reads 0.00

I had a similar problem with my SP3 some years ago. Mine was branded Melody not Onix, but it's the same amp. The thread discussing this is on the UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration forum here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56565. See my post #15 which points to...
  14. Dandy

THE end-all FIX for the Heathkit AA-100 integrated amp.

I've just remembered that Jason worked on this question in 2016. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/heathkit-aa-100-iron-with-6l6gc.732031/ He eventually decided to go with 6CG7s and 7189s.
  15. Dandy

THE end-all FIX for the Heathkit AA-100 integrated amp.

Agreed. I've just taken mine out of storage to check. The inputs under the chassis are still as awkward as ever, and the tubes for the power section still on the scarce side, but it does sound good! I see that someone on daBay is now offering replacement boards, which will resolve the problem...
Back
Top Bottom