Recent content by danomar

1. danomar

Any Other"hearts Of Space" Listeners Out There???

I used to listen regularly when it was available on a local radio station. Now that I know about their online option, it might be a nice return.
  2. danomar

Trappe, MD (near Cambridge/Easton) to Atlanta

Anyone willing to haul a set of floor-standing speakers from across-to-bay Eastern Maryland to anywhere near the metro Atlanta area? TIA d
  3. danomar

The Best Advice

Simplicity. The fewest steps between the source material to the speaker the better.
  4. danomar

Small spade to banana adapters

I already searched Amazon but do not know if any of the banana adapters have posts narrow enough to work with my spade connectors. If anyone has experience with some, please do share.
  5. danomar

Small spade to banana adapters

I have some bi-wire speaker cables with small-sized spade lugs used specifically for Vandersteen speakers' narrow terminal strips. I want to use banana adapters to use these speaker wires on a different set of speakers. The only adapters I can find have posts designed for large inner diameter...
  6. danomar

UPS uninterrupted power source , thoughts

Clarification question: Does the UPS output regular, non-stepped AC when not using the battery? Which is to say, during normal non-battery operation, is the AC output from the battery backup side of my APC UPS the non-pure AC? I keep my music server (a computer) connected to an APC BackUPS...
  7. danomar

Denafrips Pontus II vs Ares II DAC, I got to have both at home…

I am no fanboi, but I like what Denafrips is doing with their DACs. They seem to have similar design approaches but with increasingly higher-spec components. They also seem to have similar sound signatures, so if you like one, the next one up will be similar but better. Someone posted audio...
  8. danomar

Well rounded floor stander with great imaging... Vandersteen, KEF or??

If by "imaging" you want a highly focused central image, then many speakers can do that well. Electrostatic speakers can fill a room with sound very well. My former Acoustat Model 3's filled the entire room with beautiful sound but ironically had a very narrowly focused central image. If your...
  9. danomar

What small vintage speakers are in your collection?

I still have my Epicure 1.0 speakers. I bought them new and do not plan to ever let them go—even though I do not currently use them. Epicure-1.0-photo by danomar posted May 11, 2022 at 7:09 PM I still think this is the best version of the venerable EPI/Epicure tweeter.
  10. Epicure-1.0-photo

Epicure-1.0-photo

Not mine.
  11. danomar

The Official Vandersteen Owners Thread

I recently re-did the socks, top panels, and replaced the rheostats on my 2Bs. Everything came from Vandersteen. I added my observations at the end of this very useful thread: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/vandersteen-sock-replacement.357811/ I now think I want to find a pair...
  12. danomar

Vandersteen Sock Replacement

This thread was useful for rebuilding my 2Bs, so I will update it with a few things I learned. New socks are available from Vandersteen for $48 each ($96/pair). They are available in black, charcoal, and beige colors. The new material seems nicer than the original; the socks also seem more...
  13. danomar

Vintage Luxman options

Some of the older Luxman designs contained some unwise choices for components with regard to heat dissipation, but those are only a few items and definitely do not reflect the total Luxman picture. I have full systems from the LRS and LSS series and experience zero issues—after they were fully...
  14. danomar

What speakers sound their best up against the wall, or on a shelf against the wall?

Yet another vote for Acoustic Research speakers. The AR-9 and -90 are specifically designed to be a few inches from the wall. I have a pair of AR-90s but my room does not permit close placement to a wall, so while they still sound wonderful I am not getting the full experience.
  15. danomar

Any Kyocera owners out there?

I had a DA-610cx CD player. It had a wonderful sound and I loved the way it looked, but I needed a more versatile (BluRay capable) player so it went. I still think about it sometimes. Kyocera was well ahead of its time back then.
Back
Top Bottom