Recent content by Dark Knight

1. Dark Knight

Yamaha RP-U100 ( @pet RP-U100)

Greetings. I am just getting back into audio as now that I am working at home most of the time, I am building a little desktop system. I am using the first speakers I ever bought, the original Baby Advents I. I have the 2 year old apple desktop. I purchased the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus...
  2. Dark Knight

JBL L36 *A* series

Greetings, I have the JBL L36 *A* series where the presence and brilliance dials go from 0 to 10, which is not on the dB scale of the other two L36 iterations, where 0 zero is the standard factory setting. Does anyone know what the standard factory settings would be on the 0 to 10 scale that...
  3. Dark Knight

Is it due to differences in headphone output impedance?

Thank you. That is what I am starting to conclude. Best Wishes, DK
  4. Dark Knight

Thank goodness you replied. I was hoping you would. That ratio is satisfied with the Focusrite. The AKGs that I have are original Austria build so the frequency response should still be accurate. Other than sounding thin and distant, it seems to be OK.
  5. Dark Knight

I am testing the Philips fidelio x2hr (30 Ohm), the AKG Q701 (62 Ohm), the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus (headphone output impedance: 50 Ohm) and Scarelett Focusrite 3 gen (headphone output impedance: 50 Ohm <1 Ohm). The sonic difference between the two headphones are understood. When plug the...
  6. Dark Knight

How do you know you have enough power?

This is exactly the kind of information that I was looking for and I learned a great deal. Although I am happy with the headphone amp, I wish I would have known before hand. Your time is greatly appreciated. DK
  7. Dark Knight

You are right. I do not really understand. My simple understanding that an increase in gain would also increase the amount of power. DK
  8. Dark Knight

Thank you. That is what I thought but did not know for sure. Best Wishes, DK
  9. Dark Knight

I am so new that I got the model wrong. I do have the DacMagic Plus. The AKG Q701s I think are 600 Ohms. Thank you for taking the time to respond. It has been a bit so I did not think anyone would try to help me understand. Best Wishes, DK
  10. Dark Knight

I have been using my Cambridge Audio DacMagic Azur for a week. I love it. I had read conflicting opinions on weather the unit had enough power to drive high impedance headphones. My AKG Q70 are said to be hard to drive. There are no markings but I can turn it the dial so that headphones are...
  11. Dark Knight

DAC for 2017 iMAC and AKG k701s

Because of having to adapt the way I work due to COVID, I am learning everything by the seat of my pants and by forums like this. For the Focusrite I used the standard required setup. But for the Behringer, I did not use the USB input, I used the headphone output split to two RCA cables as...
  12. Dark Knight

Thank you for looking. Yes, I set the preferences on my MAC output to Focusrite. I am not sure that initial perceived difference is real. But, what it tells me is the when using the Behringer as a simple power amp for the headphone output, that the DAC on the iMAC is probably very good. Only...
  13. Dark Knight

Here what is says on the website: "The Scarlett 3rd Gen interfaces ship with a USB-C to USB-A cable. Use this cable to connect your Scarlett 3rd Gen to computers that feature USB-A ports." I have used this cable to connect the Focusrite to my iMAC. The connector to the iMAC uses what looks...
  14. Dark Knight

When I use the Behringer, is use the headphone output. When I use the Focusrite USB-C to USB-A cable that came with the unit. I am new to figuring everything out but there is no optical output that I can see on the back. But, there is an ethernet socket. Plus, I just looked up the adapter...
  15. Dark Knight

I posted this question in headphones but in retrospect seems more like a DACs question. COVID has resulted in my wife an I working at home in close proximity, so I have renewed my interest in audio. This time it is in headphones and trying to get great sound out of my 2017 iMAC while using my...
Back
Top Bottom