Recent content by Dasher

1. Dasher

RTR - How to "thread" tape onto empty reel

I was just cruising thru this thread after having bought a Teac A-1200 awhile back. I only had a 5" take-up, so I got a Scotch self-threader...haven't used it yet, but look forward to it. Can't seem to get it out of the plastic frame it came in (call me embarrassed, but I don't want to break...
  2. Dasher

Service manuals

Hi, all! I have a few turntables in need of tweaking (or more). I'd like to get into AKdatabase, but apparently my AK login data doesn't work and I didn't see a register prompt...what to do? Dasher
  3. Dasher

All my Vinyl Crackles Wtf?

Yup, noted. The ellyptical gets down into the grooves better. Having 3 working tt's (3 other projects in the works) one I call the rat rod (a Technics SL D20 with broken bits out of plastic plynth, but plays great) that I listen to used records for the first time...that has the Stanton. Dasher
  4. Dasher

After going crazy cleaning records, I found that some carts are exceedingly noisy. I gotta remember that. I have a Stanton I'm not happy with...it has a conical stylus...Not a lot of dynamics, pretty flat. Dasher
  5. Dasher

I think I misstated myself before...hum before touching, snap n quieter when you touch it...experienced it meself, just now...sorry... Yes, turn the volume up only until you hear the hum, tapping sumthin' metal. Should hear a difference. Dasher
  6. Dasher

Off subject, but does your guitar amp have 3 promgs? If so, there wouldn't be a grounding issue, inless in the guitar or internal. It'd show up merely on strings or pickups... Back to tt, merely by touching tone arm, spindle or any metal piece. Dasher
  7. Dasher

No, the hum will show itself when no music is on, kind of like the guitar amp...touch any metal on that, there's the 60 cycle hum...turn the plug around, it "should" go away...if not, a grounding problem, elsewhere. Dasher
  8. Dasher

Oh, the stripe-thing? You're probably right. I was going by the new zipcord I just bought for a lamp...I s'pose just the "either/or" technique will have to suffice. Dasher
  9. Dasher

...a turntable is sorta like an electric guitar...cartridge/pickup, record grooves/strings...putting the plug of either kind of amp may produce hum...touch the tone arm to find out if the receiver is plugged in properly. Also, one strand of the power cord may have a molded-in stripe. (Correct me...
  10. Dasher

Oh, yeah, living with dogs that shed, here, as well, not the best situation. I live in Minnesota. Our staticy times are the cold, dry winters..static runs amoke. Even now, tho, the shedding pet hair doesn't make record playing completely without some issues. Dasher
  11. Dasher

Realistic Lab-440 from Thrift store.

Stopped by a nearby thrift store last night, remembering tthis thread after running errands...no turntables...tho I could have bought a pop dispenser/fridge...good addition to the 3rd floor music room!
  12. Dasher

Realistic Lab-440 from Thrift store.

That IS a good grab...I have a policy...if it looks "decent" (yours is incredible!), It's mine. I haven't seen any turntables for awhile...the last one I saw (and I still kick meself for) was a $12 Dual 1229 back in the late '90's, early 2000's. I thought, why do I need 2 Duals that don't...
  13. Dasher

It's been my experience that too light a tracking fotce, the stylus has a tendency to "ride the rim", so to speak, bouncing around the upper part of the grooves...hope they haven't been damaged. A slightly heavier weight (try a 1/4g at a time) may quiet the noise w/o damage to the record at all...
  14. Dasher

Back
Top Bottom