Recent content by DaveThreshol

1. D

Just For Fun, "Component Kits, What If......"

Short version: Lets say somebody was going through their Dad's estate, knowing the Man was an audiophile way back in the day. What if he found a kit-form UNASSEMBLED Dynaco St-70 Power amp, New Old Stock, in the box? I just wonder how much that would go for on eBay? I bet that would go for a...
  2. D

Can homemade speakers be any good?

Once, I reinforced a pair of Fisher XP-7 cabinets to use for mid-bass. The drivers were not worth keeping, and by the time I was done, I REALLY wished that I did them from scratch with all new MDF. To build your own speakers, have them accurate and sound good, you either have a lot to learn or...
  3. D

the Threshold owners thread

As you can tell by my name, I LOVE Threshold gear! (The d wouldn't fit when I signed up here!) You could try a passive transformer. You have to know all the cart specs, and that limits you to similar cartridges, or the next cart may not sound right. If you plan on upgrading, you could try the...
  4. D

Urgent Help - AR Limited Model 3

The tweeters used were the Dynaudio Esotec D-260's. They were VERY expensive and seemed to me to be insanely close to the D-28 1" domes. Do NOT buy anything that says made in China, or David Louis, (whoever that is) because they are knockoffs. If you can't find the Esotecs, the D-28's IMO, will...
  5. D

Urgent Help - AR Limited Model 3

HERE are the EXACT midranges, The Dynaudio D-76 domes. I designed speakers for 25 years. Trust me, they sound SUPERB. This is not my ad, and that is a good price if they are in good shape. They pop up here all the time since you'll need four. I have no connection to this guy. I have a few N.O.S...
  6. D

Noah Schumacher (BigVoyevoda, Hallo-Fi Electronics, Vintage Audio Restorations) Being Investigated

I was extremely close to being one of his victims, involving my beloved Threshold Fet-10e Phono pre, and my Fet-10e line stage. I was a few weeks away from shipping one or BOTH to him. I wanted to pin him down more on a return/completed date, then he vanished off of Facebook, and I never heard...
  7. D

My another one vintage speakers - Beovox 5702

Any time! :bigok:
  8. D

Also, some food for thought: >When you add stuffing into a vented enclosure, which is what a PR basically is, the tuning frequency will drop as if you added cubic inches, or made it a bigger box and left the vent the same. >What I used to do was weigh the stuffing with a postal scale. If you get...
  9. D

WOW! :beerchug: Back in about 1973, my he-man speakers were the JBL-C36-001's. They were louder than hell and low distortion which is all I cared about. THEN I heard a pair of 5700's at Gill Custom House in Palos Hills, IL. They were $1,200 US, fair-trade with no markdowns. I switched to those...
  10. D

Does Anybody Know What Speakers These Are?

This screencap is from the CBS hit show, FBI with the broadcast date of 2-14-20. The show was entitled, "Studio Gangster." The character in the picture was a Rapper. Behind him is what I think is a Technics TT. They are obviously Omni or quasi Omni. Notice the Mid-Tweets on top, which I would...
  11. D

Inside my S-450e amp. I saw it on eBay for $1,350 a few years back which is a GREAT price. It turned out to be a Pawn Shop in Schaumburg, IL. which was within driving distance. I called them, asked them to hold it, went out and picked it up for about $100 less after a very fun haggle. LOL
  12. D

Cool! I never heard of the Usher. It looks better than the new Chinese/Threshold amps, which start by having fewer transistors than the originals. :( I heard those RS-2B's years ago and was SHOCKED at how good they sounded. I bet by today's standards they would hold up with some of the best. Are...
  13. D

Great thread here! I just discovered it while searching for some Threshold gear. IMO, the best thing going in audio is pre-owned High-End, or as I call it, " USED!" LOL Here is my funny for the day. Have a real Nelson Pass day everybody!:) S450e, (L) and an S-200, (R)
  14. D

Check out my TU-999! - Rubber Feet For It?

THANK YOU very much! I just ordered these. The bolt holes are too big, but that will work. The threads on the unit are metric between #6 and #8 machine screw. I can use a washer inside. these feet get rave reviews! LOL...
  15. D

Check out my TU-999! - Rubber Feet For It?

Yes, I know! LOL
Back
Top Bottom