Recent content by DavidF

1. DavidF

4315 Performance Upgrade - Crossover Input Wiring and Input Posts

Some time ago I read a comment from the 4315 system designer that this particular monitor system was designed for in-wall applications. So, yes, the balance of the total response will fall off (going down in frequency) if the unit is placed out from the walls due to the diffraction effect.
  2. DavidF

Technics SL-D1 or Dual 604

A Dual 604 (semi-auto) and Technics SL-1500 (manual) were my first top shelf tuntables in my youth in the 70's. I liked the look the Technics but preferred the mechanicals and auto-lift feature of the Dual better. I held on the Dual and used many cartridges including the OM-20 (same body as the...
  3. DavidF

The Green Room

Looks like a place where it's all too easy to lose track of time!!
  4. DavidF

Picked up my first Klipsch- Heresy IIs. Now for the crossover...

Those titanium mid drivers are not at all drop in, by the way. Different enough response to throw the xover off kilter. I am thinking it best for you to confirm to yourself if the Heresy is going to work for your listening preferences before committing to spending substantial bucks.
  5. DavidF

Pickering brush?

Yes, ditto above. The brush assembly weighs a gram. When calibrating the tonearm balance to -0- downforce you have that gram on the cartridge side of the arm. When the arm is set down on the record the brush becomes self-supporting so you have a one gram reduction in downforce all the sudden...
  6. DavidF

Bi-amping a Heresy IV

I'd stick with the mono amps full range. Why deny their use for the better part of the full music spectrum?
  7. DavidF

New to me pair of Walnut Forte I's

You could do quite well by leaving the original x-over components as-is for now. At the least, I would suggest pulling the drivers and clean the quick connects on the feed wires. Deoxit spray cleaner is best but usually just the action of a few connecting/disconnecting of the terminals on the...
  8. DavidF

JBL L100t3 Restoration

One thing to consider is whether the tweeters are working correctly. There is/was a foam plug under the dome used to damp resonance. If not since replaced that foam is deteriorated and some goop may be down in the magnet gap. Point is that the output of the tweeter may be down causing a sound...
  9. DavidF

Refoaming JBL 122a - How clean must the basket be?

I get the surface as smooth as possible well short of complete bare metal. No sanding or grinding since that can create other issues with residue. The surface won't be absolutely smooth but sufficient to avoid gaps when the glue and new surround are applied.
  10. DavidF

Top sounding JBL bookshelf speakers

Despite the bookshelf nomenclature the 112 and similar models of this time period will not work well close to boundaries. There will be too much bass reinforcement and the sound will come off boomy. Better to set them off the floor and out from the back wall.
  11. DavidF

Forte I's are 4 ohm?

A speaker's ohm measurement will vary by frequency within the total audible spectrum. The Forte's minimum impedance is somewhere around 4 ohms in certain ranges of frequencies. Your receiver can handle the Forte with no issues as long as you avoid using additional speaker systems hooked up to...
  12. DavidF

Crossover questions?

I have both of the yellow caps you show in my cap parts bin. The 3mfd (3k nF?) is a mylar. The CDE WMF is a polyester film. Neither are polarized. Edit: I recall this RTR speaker back in the day when new. Expensive but a very capable performer on many levels.
  13. DavidF

Help Me Bring My Forte I Speakers to Life!

Not sure why you presume it deceptive. They clearly state that the original part is discontinued. You should call Klipsch and ask about "genuine" parts. I suspect that aftermarket is the only way to go after all these years. I suggest you leave the crossover as-is with the exception of the...
  14. DavidF

Forte 3 vs Heresy 4 space restriction

Yes, this is a good point about the rear exit vent. Kipsch says keep about a foot between the back of the enclosure and the wall. That seems a lot but they ought to know. So a foot is a lot of room and may push the cabinets too far out on the supporting surface. Dang.
  15. DavidF

Forte 3 vs Heresy 4 space restriction

No, three feet won't work. If you are convinced that this set-up won't change for the near future, you should consider the Heresy as primary. Especially good if the systems can be placed closed to the back wall when set on the cabinets.
Back
Top Bottom