Recent content by dcgibby

1. D

Pioneer PL-71 Left Channel Problem

Not that anybody cares, but it turned out to be a bad cartridge. The Ortofon Blue only has about 10 or 15 albums on it so I didn't expect it to be bad. I swapped in an old Shure N95ED and it played perfectly. Put the Ortofon back in and left channel out with bad hum. Shure back in and it sounds...
  2. D

New datum. There's a loud (60 cycle?) hum in the left channel only. Right channel is perfectly quiet.
  3. D

My unrestored PL-71 has lost the left channel. If I turn the volume up pretty high I can hear it. It's got a new Ortofon Blue but is otherwise untouched since I bought it new in 1977. I swapped out amps, preamps and cables and the problem persists so I know it's the turntable. I checked...
  4. D

Pioneer HPM-100 Restoration Project (Veneer removal)

Seems a little on the high side, but not much. Depends on your location. Where I'm at it may be high. If you're in Cali or NY it's probably a good price.
  5. D

Do I need a streamer?

If you're the only one listening to music and you listen only at one location, get yourself a mini pc off the Bay. Transfer your music to it and install any number of free apps like Musicbee. Plug your DAC into the mini pc and you're done. If you want to be more flexible and play to multiple...
  6. D

Multiple amps, only one set of speakers

I must say that I never switch the amps with power on. The "make or break" is only a problem if you switch amps with the power on.
  7. D

Multiple amps, only one set of speakers

It's hard to find more than two amp switch. I just got this bad boy from the Bay. B042 Passive Power Amplifier Selector Speaker Switch So far it's working well with four amps connected to one set of speakers.
  8. D

ADS L690 rust and restore help

I'm confused. Are you talking about refoaming those woofers? They look fine to me. What he's talking about is to refoam the speakers you must remove the dust cover, shim the voice coil to make sure it stays centered while the foam is removed and replaced. But your pictures suggest the foam is...
  9. D

Audio Absurdity Award Goes To....

If I won the Lotto my first purchase would be a 1967 Ford Cobra 427. Conspicuous consumption? For sure, but I've wanted one since I was 15 years old. I tried to get my Dad to buy one off the lot for $6k. That $6k purchase today would be worth between $1.5M and $3M. If I won the Lotto would I buy...
  10. D

How safe to use are speaker selectors?

I just got the same unit as the OP. The first thing I did was open it up to see what's inside. It appears the signal is carried by the steel brackets that support the banana plugs. That seems less than ideal. Also, does anyone know what the purpose of the 2 ohm resistors are in the circuit...
  11. D

Remote liner level controller

I'm going to say I think so. If you're talking about something like a Schiit Saga it would probably work but I don't know how well it will work. I don't think you'll damage anything by trying it, but the only way you'll know how well it works is to try it. On the other hand, a Saga can work as...
  12. D

Multiple Amps and Multiple Speaker Sets

As mentioned above, Dynakit. Also Elekit; I have four amps and two preamps I built from Elekit. Very good quality and easy to build. Others on here have built Bottlehead, ANK Audio, and I think the newest kit company Analog Ethos.
  13. D

Multiple Amps and Multiple Speaker Sets

I currently have eight amps, but I only listen to one at a time. It's all just for fun. No other reason. I like them and they're fun to play with.
  14. D

HPM 100's - 100 watt or 200 watt?

I have to agree with audiocast. HPM 100s are great with rock and roll, but they actually do very well with mellow jazz and fusion. Also symphonic prog works well. Don't know about country western, hip hop, classical or opera ;)
  15. D

Peachtree audio question

Didn't notice this was a resurrected zombie thread. The answer to your question is I think so. I just checked the manual for my Nova 150 and it has a loop feature that should work perfectly with the Bose speakers.
Back
Top Bottom