Recent content by desertrat748

1. desertrat748

anyone else running vintage Empire carts?

I have 3 aftermarkets, a silver one that is a real silver Empire grip housing w Empire logo, same exact grip material/build, but a long tapered cantilever that is clearly different than a s915e and the black dot. I actually have two of these and one has black dot and other doesn’t. Someone had...
  2. desertrat748

Thank you. I’m a dinosaur with the new software and computer skills but I’m still able to learn. It would be nice to know how you were able to get the final results. I’ve only toyed around with Audacity to see if I could digitize my vinyl (7-8 years ago?).
  3. desertrat748

It is going to be interesting to see what becomes of that hf peak with other carts. Like the idea of having a jig for consistent setup.
  4. desertrat748

Can you tell us a little more about the setup you used to create the graphs? What software did you use and how was it gathered (straight feed into a laptop?)
  5. desertrat748

Thanks Doug. I remember this being a topic of discussion if they were or were not left over. But hey, what’s not to like about that? It’s like going to Vegas! Put your money down and roll those loaded dice!
  6. desertrat748

Does anyone know if the red/white packaged versions are old empire stock or just aftermarket?
  7. desertrat748

From past replys it seems that those in that packaging are Russell industry’s. The feedback I have seen is that they aren’t as good as genuine Empire but I haven’t tried gambling with any of them after seeing the feedback. Are returns accepted if you purchase them? Hopefully someone else...
  8. desertrat748

The good thing about the 2000z is the aftermarket Styli seem to play well for the most part. I haven’t found anything for the 2000e aftermarket wise that I enjoy.
  9. desertrat748

I have to look back on this thread to find the Walco descriptions that were posted a long time ago. But, I recall reading that they were not bad.
  10. desertrat748

Just checked. Swiss made copies for S2000z gold colored $34. But, Astatic Japanese s915e in blue, silver and clear yellow @ $40 So it looks like a very good decision to shop around for those 2000z/2000t styli. I much rather buy from a reputable dealer at a fair price. Just found it a...
  11. desertrat748

I haven’t seen any NOS there in a few years. Generic Swiss copies were the last that I saw. I think I have a generic copy from RiverTone but that too was a few years back.
  12. desertrat748

Just a reminder to thoroughly check out what you see advertised for sale off the Bay. There are some that require a good look. Just saw “EMPIRE NOS” and didn’t realize that the next words were “After market” and indeed it was some generic stylus that imo was overpriced. Claimed to be a...
  13. desertrat748

The best phono preamp under $1000 (aka the Hagerman Bugle upgrade thread)

I noticed the low frequency improvement with the opa2210 & with the 1612 op amp. I wonder how much is involved with the synergy between the op amp and the other components that were used? Why? Just that I noticed less low frequency differences between the 2210 and 1612 after the final...
  14. desertrat748

What I really like here is that the use of the opa2210 drops the noise floor by 6dB! I recall seeing a few posts about the use of the opa2210, in simulation, measuring “higher” in noise and something about it not being designed for audio. But neither of these were true and actually the...
  15. desertrat748

Well I haven’t seen much posted lately but good things take time. Props to @oranda as his suggestions reached Jim Hagerman and the opa 2210 implemented into the Bugle MC after Jim measured the performance w ~ 6dB lower noise floor. That was with just one 2210 op amp being installed. There...
Back
Top Bottom