Recent content by DesertTwang

1. DesertTwang

Tonearm skids back into record when reaches run-out groove

Pioneer PL-540: Very strange behavior that started after playing a new (to me) type of record: a 12-inch polycarbonate, lathe-embossed record. It came with instructions to increase the VTF to avoid skipping. I did that, and when the tonearm reached the last minute or so of playing, the music was...
  2. DesertTwang

Taking my old Thorens to the US

So, just to confirm: will the TT work as long as I plug it into my transformer to give it the 220 Volts it needs? If further modifications are required, I’d rather not take it at all. I don’t want to go to all the trouble only to create another project for which I already know I won’t have...
  3. DesertTwang

Yes, I have a transformer, which I’ve been using to power my German CD player. It might be less of a hassle to replace the power adapter with a US model, so your information is very helpful. Are you saying I need a DC output power adapter, or an AC output power adapter?
  4. DesertTwang

I’m planning to carry it on as my personal item. I will remove the platter and the head shell, of course.
  5. DesertTwang

While visiting family in Germany, I found the TT I grew up with, a Thorens TD280 MkII. I know it’s not a spectacular table, but it has sentimental value to me and is in great shape. I already have a Pioneer PL-540, which I love, and I have no intention to replace that one, but I would like to...
  6. DesertTwang

Cheap replacement for the rubber rings in SpinClean rollers?

My rollers need replacing, but really all that is worn is the rubber rings. The rollers themselves still have life in them. Of course the company doesn't sell just the rubber rings, and I find $20 for a pair of new rollers (plus tax/shipping) a bit of a rip-off. Has anyone found generic rubber...
  7. DesertTwang

Evaluating a stylus after a mishap

Great advice. I wonder if that applies to marriages as well... :rolleyes:
  8. DesertTwang

Update: Today I took the bumped AT150Sa stylus assembly apart. I think I managed to straighten out the bent cantilever really well, but when I mounted it on the cartridge, I noticed it rides very low. Like, really low, to the point where I'd worry about scraping records in cases of slight warps...
  9. DesertTwang

At first, when I compared my 440MLa stylus (which has seen more use but never bumped into anything) and the 150Sa, I thought the 150Sa may have broken the tip off, since it looks short and stubby in comparison to the 440 stylus, which appears much more slender. I have since educated myself a bit...
  10. DesertTwang

I'm a musician and a scientist. When it comes to judging sound, be it with instruments or equipment, the scientist in me always wins. Unless it's an A/B blind test, it's not a test, but an exercise in introspection, in my view. ;)
  11. DesertTwang

Great question about the shop. This was the first time I contacted that shop. I actually wasn't even aware that it existed until I drove by there the other day. I have lived in that area for 15 years and never knew it was there, so I have no experience dealing with them. They were recommended by...
  12. DesertTwang

Thank you for the responses so far. I do have the Shure Audio Obstacle record, and ran the cart through what supposedly is the toughest track (glockenspiel). It performed outstanding. I guess my main concern at this point would be: IF on the off-chance the diamond may have chipped, is that...
  13. DesertTwang

I have an AT 150Sa stylus, which replaced the original stylus that came with my AT 440MLa cart. The orig. stylus has a (guesstimated) 300-400 hours on it, so I decided to replace it, even though it still sounds fantastic. The 150Sa is still pretty new, I've only had it for 5 months, playing on...
  14. DesertTwang

I just successfully cleaned a record with windshield wiper fluid

Well, I doubt that a trace amount of silicone would have any audible impact. I still prefer not to gum up my stylus with silicone, however. Just because something is not immediately audible doesn't necessarily mean it's harmless. For example, I'm pretty sure that using too heavy or too light of...
  15. DesertTwang

I just successfully cleaned a record with windshield wiper fluid

Dang. I did use Rain-X. Just checked the bottle. I never pay attention to what windshield fluid I buy. I get whatever is the cheapest at the store I happen to be at. So glad you brought this to my attention. Anything I can do to clean potential silicone contamination from the record in...
Back
Top Bottom