dgunnr
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Hey Dennis, I received your ebay message. Yes I remember you asking if I had some extra HD/DS woofers and I thought I told you that I didn't. I had been looking for a pair myself. Whatsamatta with the 940's size? they are only about 5-6 inches taller than the 880's, but they are slightly skinnier. Nothing wrong with that in my book, lol! Stained grills can be easily cleaned. my 940's grills were stained too. All it takes is a damp dishcloth & some elbow grease. If you are going to unload the 940's, then my friend in Missouri would probably buy them. If I had the room, I would buy them just for the sake of restoring them. You got them cheap, which is unheard of. You could always fix them up a little, and put them in bartertown here on Ak. Do you have any pics of your 940's?
    Sure Dennis. The way I see it, they are pretty nice. Nicer than mine. The fact they are 32 years old and maybe a few nicks and marks here & there, just gives them character, but that is nearly impossible to avoid if they had ever been moved around. I've even seen NIB ones that have had nicks & marks from factory handling/packaging. I sure love my 940's, they are very detailed and revealing. Nice and crisp without being shrill or harsh, same as how the 600's sound. HD880's are superb, but Compared to my 600's, they are pretty close, but have more bass due to the larger cabinet & woofer. They can and do get lower Hz, even the fact that they share the same woofer as 880's. The Cu ft internal damping of the larger volume cabinet of the 940 increases the bass output. The 600 can and does get to lower Hz than even the 880. Even though it has a smaller woofer, and is physically smaller, the cu ft internal volume of the cabinet is larger. The 600 does not have a caverned base like the 880.
    I am looking at buying a set of Marantz 600 series speakers which came out after the HD-880's. They were both designed by legendary speaker engineer Ed May. I need to know if they sound better than the HD-880's since I would be replacing one of my two sets of HD-880's. If they sound the same then not worth replacing but if there better then i am pulling the trigger ASAP. Thanks for your help.

Also i already red "Tuna's" fantastic information about the 600 series by Marantz but if anyone else had experience with them would love to hear it. Thanks Dennis
    Thank you for the reply! Now i am confused what is the difference between the M16 and the 600? They have the same layout but are different in size.

I really like reading your information about the Marantz equipment and have felt the HD-880's have always been so underestimated. I bought my first set from one of my college frat brothers. Most of my frat brothers families had money so each fall you would always get somebody with the latest and greatest speakers. The Marantz's always sounded better!

Thanks again for the information. I will look into this some more. FYI there is a set of 600 on ebay right now i am looking at. Problem is shipping as usual! Dennis
    Hi Dennis, AK member kevin.stot has a set of M16's that are his wife's, and he is considering selling them. He has sent me a message and some pictures. My space and budget won't allow me the priviledge of purchasing them from him, so if you are interested, give him a holler. the M16 are the pinnacle of Ed's Design, honestly, as that is one of his last, but the most well known of his are the HD880. I really love the 600's, they sound amazing. They just blew my mind away powered by my 2500. I was hearing imaging, soundstage and details I never heard before. Really, ALL of Ed's designs are spectacularly clean sounding once they are cleaned/tuned/tested. There was such a short run of the Model 600 prior to Ed's death, and that is most likely why there is not much info about them. Here is a link to Kevin's thread about his M16's. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=446324

Charlie
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom