Recent content by dhmcclain1

1. D

Bogen DB 212 vs Sherwood S-8000. Thoughts?

I know the feeling regarding hearing. Never had, and not very likely at this point to develop a golden ear. But I definitely have a preference for the sound of vintage gear. New stuff just seems kinda sterile to me. Have never had the opportunity to hear the higher end stuff, apart from some Mac...
  2. D

Wow. As hoped, a gold mine of info. I own 3 Sherwood SS receivers, two of which now need repair. The one that still works perfectly is the oldest, my S-8800. I like their sound and am kinda leaning towards the S-8000, in spite of them being different animals. I appreciate all the input. Either...
  3. D

Thanks, gadget. Yes, had a chance to look at the Bogen's innards, and it looks relatively uncluttered, compared to the pictures I've seen of the Sherwood. The tube cost/availability is an issue that, frankly, I hadn't thought about.:eek: Certainly an important issue. Thanks for the heads up on...
  4. D

Thanks, A23gt. The Bogen has all new tubes and has been recapped. For a nearly 60 year old amp, it looks almost new, inside and out. Cosmetically, the Sherwood's exterior looks quite good. No idea about under the hood, though. The owner/seller thought the "muffled" sound was probably a bad...
  5. D

I have been, for some time now, considering buying a tube amp. I have no experience with them, though I have been trying to educate myself here and elsewhere. I have an opportunity to purchase either a Bogen DB 212 in what appears to be excellent condition, or a Sherwood S-8000 for a bit more...
  6. D

Hello from Lancaster, or Philly, or - elsewhere in PA...any interest???

Wow. Stereo Barn is still around? Bought my first AVR from them way back in the late '80s or early '90s.
  7. D

Rubber surround fix

Thanks, swechsler, had been eying up the bottle of Goof-Off sitting in the garage. Glad I didn't take the plunge.:eek: I didn't pay a huge sum for these speakers, but I like 'em, and I suspect it would be quite difficult to find replacement woofers. And I would hate to destroy them for no...
  8. D

Rubber surround fix

These are Wharfedale W40s. Not entirely sure when they were manufactured, but I think mid to late 60's? There is no letter following the W40 designation, so maybe earlier. These are 2 way, not 3 way, FWIW
  9. D

Rubber surround fix

I have recently acquired a pair of speakers, and it appears that a previous owner applied something to the rubber surrounds. My guess is they thought the surrounds were of the treated paper variety like AR and KLH. My question is this: Is there a way to safely remove whatever is on the...
  10. D

What's British in your system?

Newly acquired EMI 319's.
  11. D

2018 Mid Atlantic AK FALL Gathering October 14th - 12 noon till 5-6 pm.

Is there a cut off date for saying whether one can make it or not? I hope to be able to make it. Would be my first AK event. Would be cool to meet some of you guys!
  12. D

Renovation of my KLH 17's is complete (long)

There is some pressboard missing, so I think I will rotate the woofer and make some new holes. Gonna fill the old ones, and try to repair, or at least not further damage, the pressboard. Thanks.
  13. D

Thanks, Ken. So many screws, I was a little unsure if new holes was a good option. If I do that, then I can fill the old holes with just about any wood filler, I suppose. Or, just cover them with gasket material. New holes sounds like it might be the best option. Thanks again!
  14. D

This is slightly off topic, but, after finishing the recap of the 17's,(thank you, specialidiot. Would not have tried it without this thread.) I was putting one of the woofers back in place. Got to the last of the seemingly endless screws, and the screw would not tighten. Removed the woofer...
  15. D

KLH 23

And I won a pair of speakers! Brilliant!:jump:
Back
Top Bottom