Recent content by Doug G.

1. Doug G.

Lab 80

I have used automotive wheel bearing grease, made for disc brake applications, on sliding/contact surfaces for well over 40 years and it has never gummed up or "attracted" dirt or dust. In fact, some of my tables still have the same application I put into them that long ago and it is still the...
  2. Doug G.

Is high power a waste at low to medium volume?

Many forget or ignore that most well-designed amplifiers are rated at continuous power. Most amplifiers are able to provide substantially more power for the typical length of time of a peak (fractions of a second). Doug
  3. Doug G.

Is high power a waste at low to medium volume?

HiFi/automotive analogies are illegitimate.. Doug
  4. Doug G.

Old Large Advents - Fried fried egg tweeter cause/replacement?

New Advents cross over at 1.5 K. Original Advents are 1 K. Doug
  5. Doug G.

Stacked OLA’s

I have four stacks of original Advents in my quad system, run by 50 WPC Heathkit amplifiers and they sound wonderful. I really can't turn them up past half way or they are too loud, and I like it loud. Each pair of Advents gets its own stereo amplifier as I believe, and its been proven that an 8...
  6. Doug G.

Lab 80

When a manufacturer has an almost ridiculous figure for a lower tracking force, that figure represents a force obtained in a lab-type environment and it maybe tracked a certain passage once. It doesn't represent real world use. Empire isn't the only maker to do that. Also, the Lab 80 looks like...
  7. Doug G.

Best budget cartridges of all time post yours

For CD-4 cartridges, the AT912Sa (later version of the AT12S) is stellar. Doug
  8. Doug G.

The AT95E was mentioned earlier in the thread. Doug
  9. Doug G.

AR-1500A Phono Circuit Background Noise

I miss having a Radio Shack to be able to pop over and get parts immediately, too. When some of the old electrolytics on my -29 output boards failed, a few years ago, they were repaired within the same day, thanks to RS. They were Nichicons, too. Doug
  10. Doug G.

Permission to paint Dual 1219 bread-box?

Hmm, looks a lot better than I thought it would. But still... :D Doug
  11. Doug G.

Turntables in cold weather?

I would get them in the house and out of the cases right away so the condensation isn't confined to the case with the potential to cause detriment to the tables. Who cares about the house? :D Doug
  12. Doug G.

AR-1500A Phono Circuit Background Noise

Thanks for the kind words. First, I'll offer this. I have three of my Heathkit -29 series amps in systems around the house and two AA-2010 quad amps in my quad system. In each case set to phono, when I turn the volume up all the way, the noise is very noticeable from even seven - eight feet...
  13. Doug G.

Permission to paint Dual 1219 bread-box?

Nope, strip off the old finish and redo it so it looks new. I can't imagine a dual in a stark white base. In spite of your dislike of walnut and considering you said you like to keep things original (I am a stickler for that), walnut bases were almost a given and integral for turntable bases in...
  14. Doug G.

Yes, the bricks are all good-sounding. Doug
  15. Doug G.

Another really good, very inexpensive cartridge is the Audio Technica AT91E. When I bought a Sansui SR-222 table (also a very good bargain) several years ago, it came with one of these. I was amazed at how good it sounded. Doug
Back
Top Bottom