Recent content by DougNM3

1. D

Another player option thread... Akai or Teac

More of a sound quality/options improvement over what I’ve got. To be honest, considering the quality of my Akai, switching to anything else would more than likely be foolhardy.
  2. D

Another player option thread... Akai or Teac

hey all! So, I’ve got a line on a Teac C-3x player. Appears to be in good condition. Currently, I’ve got a TOTL Akai 760D that has no problems whatsoever and is in phenomenal condition. Would there be any reason to consider selling what I’ve got and procuring the Teac? Mines a known...
  3. D

Scored a sweet Realistic Lab-400

I wonder if that has to do with the style of tone-arm?
  4. D

Thanks Hajidub! Yeah, good to know that I'm not making a rash choice on swapping with the Marantz. The Marantz was good to learn how to work on a table, but with the 400 proving to do everything well, I'm kind of glad I don't need to fiddle with it. Time to sell the Marantz and recoup my...
  5. D

I ended up jumping on my local Craigslist yesterday while taking a break at work and started to comb for interesting audio gear. No real good amps, no real amazing speakers, but in searching for TT's, I stumbled upon a listing for a good condition Lab-400. I thought about it for all of 30...
  6. D

Sub on a budget - James ESM-1000 or Martin Logan Abyss

Good info! I'm leery of spending the money for the EMB 1000 without being able to first test it in my setup. The current sub I'm using for my home theater setup is garbage, so I know the EMB 1000 would be an improvement. I think, tonight, I'm going to pull my current sub and swap it out with...
  7. D

Sub on a budget - James ESM-1000 or Martin Logan Abyss

Dredging this post back up, hopefully y'all are still on here. But Natertots, what did you end up going with? I've got an opportunity to purchase a EMB-1000 and am very interested in your impressions.
  8. D

KEF NT25 Tweeter Refurbishing (with Pictures) - and a question

Great tutorial! I just recently picked up a set of 102.2's and one of the tweeters is sounding a bit flat as compared to the others, and my set of Q80's. All told, I've got a set of Q80's, C90, and now my 102.2's. I just ordered the rubber cement and ferrofluid from Parts Express, so once...
  9. D

Marantz 6350Q

Thanks Steve! Been there, checked that, and emailed them direct. Their response time was amazing and the guy was very polite, but alas, they don't have it any longer... The strange thing is that the arm that is listed on their site is what I would call an open pivot, as compared to mine...
  10. D

Marantz 6350Q

Well, I asked for it and I received... You know the old saying, a good deed never goes unpunished? Well, I talked with a local audio guy that I know has a great selection of unsed vintage gear. My only needs were direct drive and wooden plinth. What did I end up with? Just as the title...
  11. D

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Went out today to a local thrift store and managed to find a Pioneer CT-F500 sitting on the floor under some junky printer. Then on a shelf nearby, there was a Denon DRM 500. Got them both for a whopping $23 after tax. Not great, I know, but oh well. Got them back to the house and got to...
  12. D

How many members use reel to reel decks here ?

Tandberg 9000x, myself. Was given to me by a very kindly old timer who used it for radio broadcasting locally. Originally was going to sell it to me, but then when he found it didn't play, he just gave me the unit, along with a Maxell metal take up reel and about 25 tapes of music he had...
  13. D

Akai GXC-760D!!

Awesome! Yeah, seems like the thrift stores in my area get picked over fairly quickly. I have yet to find anything that's worthwhile. I'm really enjoying this player! The sound is amazing!! now I've got to save my funds to find a set of M&K speakers with the wood casing to match my Sansui...
  14. D

Sansui 4000x L/R bias issue

When the volume knob is turned down below 1/4 of the volume "capacity", as indicated on the knob, the L/R bias goes out of whack, with the balance deferring to the right side. Could this just be an issue where I need to go in and clean up the gain pots? There's no scratchiness at all. When...
  15. D

Akai GXC-760D!!

BAHAHA! My thoughts exactly. The guy seemed decent enough. Heck, even threw in a Nakamichi degauss'er that he had laying around. My guess is that he just hadn't kept track of when the work was done to it as he'd recently moved and also retired, so there was a bit going on in his life. I...
Back
Top Bottom