Recent content by DucatiDave

1. D

AU-111 preamp and ? power amp

Hello to all. I just got an AU-111 off of the auction site and it has lived a hard life. Bought it from a fellow audiokarma member and he told me that a friend of his bought this off of the auction site as well…from an overseas seller. Well this unscrupulous seller decided to remove the...
  2. D

Sansui tube versus the rest

I hate to ask but how long ago did you pass it up and how much was it? The line stages are so good on the 111 that if push came to shove you could always go and get an auxiliary phono preamp and use the tape input.
  3. D

That’s a really great question...unfortunately all my stereos are Sansui tube units from 66 and 67. LOL. I did have a Scott 340b, and everyone raves about their phono stage. The 111 rivals the Scott phono and that’s the best comparison I can make.
  4. D

The first stage of the phono is silicon transistor and the second is a 12ax7 tube. So it’s a hybrid.
  5. D

Effect of adding preamp tubes

Interesting. Thank you for the insight.
  6. D

Here’s my next question. Excluding the phono stage, between the 1000a, 70, and 111 they all have a different preamp layout. 1000a has 2 12ax7’s, the 70 has 3, and the 111 has 4. What are the advantages and sonic effects of increasing the number of preamp tubes? If I were to hazard a guess I...
  7. D

Effect of adding preamp tubes

What advantages and effect on sound does adding preamp tubes have? I have had multiple pieces of vintage gear from various manufacturers with a variety of preamp tubes. I’ve had a Sansui 1000a, Scott 340b, and Fisher x-101-d with 2 12ax7 preamp tubes, a Sansui AU-70 with 3 12ax7’s, and a...
  8. D

AU-111 versus AU-70?

70 versus 111 sonically. I was fortunate enough to find an AU-111 a mere 5 hours away from my house last weekend. I traded away just about all of my spare good gear for the 111 and IT WAS WORTH IT. I have also had an AU-70 for the past two years. I’ll even throw in a comparison with the...
  9. D

So is it the transformers that determine the frequency range? Or can that be tuned through the use of caps and resistors? I know electricity very well as I’m an electrician, but I don’t know how capacitance, resistance, and inductance translate sonically.
  10. D

Hello to all. I am fortunate enough to have three of Sansui’s highly regarded tube models, AU-111, AU-70, and a 1000a. I have also owned a number of other manufacturers tube units, Scott 340b, Fisher x-101-d, Eico ST-40, and a Pioneer SX model with 7189’s. ALL of the models I have mentioned...
  11. D

Trying to decide between AU-999 and AU-7900

May I add one little wrinkle...do yourself a favor and listen to Cornwall’s through both a solid state amp and through a tube amp. I absolutely positively HATED my Cornwall’s through solid state. I tried them with a Sansui Eight, Seven, and AU-999 and couldn’t stand it. The top end was very...
  12. D

1000a transformers to make AU-111?

I was planning on using the 1000a chassis because it is so expansive. I have a vertical mill and was going to fab up an aluminum panel for the tuner section of the faceplate, and maybe install some output gauges in that panel like the AU-70. Yes I probably could add another transformer, but...
  13. D

After looking more closely at the respective schematics it looks as though my idea is not feasible. The AU-111 output transformers supply the plate voltage for the 6L6’s. On the 1000a, the main power transformer supplies the plate voltage to the 7591’s. I also found some detailed pics...
  14. D

A quick internet search revealed that the 1000a output transformers are 410-5234 A and B models. AU-111 output transformers are 410-5235 A and B models. Maybe them being only one digit different means something? But then again who knows.
  15. D

Is there a thread dedicated to this build?
Back
Top Bottom