Recent content by duckrabbit

1. duckrabbit

Studer tape head condition?

I greatly appreciate this experience-based advice. While it seems to me that some opinions are a bit strong here ("machine is useless") it is very helpful to get facts and some sense talked into me! Yes I'm excited about these machines and that can blur judgment. I only need tape for finalising...
  2. duckrabbit

I found another A810. This is a max 15ips version without VU's. What do you think of the heads? Again, for my purposes it won't need to be a workhorse (it's for mastering my own music, occasional live recordings, usage around 50 to 80 hours per year, hopefully minimal service for the next 10 or...
  3. duckrabbit

Good info here! Thanks to all who contributed. I did spoke to Tinman. My conclusion so far is that I'm better off with my B77 HS which is in pretty good calibrated shape and capable of 15 ips. The A810 is a dream machine for sure, but spending thousands + possible maintenance headaches don't...
  4. duckrabbit

I appreciate the advice. It's good to know about the relapping. Though I wouldn't want to buy a deck of this caliber, if it didn't sound reasonably up to spec without additional servicing. By 'reasonably' I mean that any deterioration in the sound from the head-wear should be virtually inaudible...
  5. duckrabbit

Here are a few more images I received. Should I be worried that the heads are no longer up to spec (without relapping)?
  6. duckrabbit

Thanks - very nice to get a reply. Here's one more, a digitally zoomed photo of the rec and playback heads. The one on the right seems to have punctures, i.e. holes / cavities out of wear on the upper part. It also seems to have ridging i.e. vertical lines / edges. Are these big enough to be...
  7. duckrabbit

Hi all, I'm checking out a Studer A810 for sale. I may not be able to test it before buying & will have it shipped. The seller says it is in excellent condition technically. These are the best images of the tape heads he managed to send me. They have visible wear but I'm not sure, if it's a deal...
  8. duckrabbit

FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder

Sounds good! How would you say it improved the sound compared to the original wall wart?
  9. duckrabbit

Only very shortly, as it seems too impractical for me. But thanks for the suggestion anyway. I have some better quality 12v adapters for my synths and studio gear lying around, like a 12v /5.5 amp (with the correct polarity). Only switching ones. But I'll try if they make a difference compared...
  10. duckrabbit

Cheers! My speakers are Totem Sky bookshelf and Omega Super 3 HO. The latter are better for acoustic music and very low volume listening which I do 90 % of the time. For the passive preamp / switchbox, I was actually considering the Schiit Saga because of the remote control. In any case, I need...
  11. duckrabbit

Hi, I've had the Tube-01 for a few years now, mostly unsued in the box. I recently got some Soviet tubes and now it sounds much better. I'd like to try replacing my current vintage hifi system with a dual mono Allo Volt D and a passive preamp around the Tube-01. I've understood that upgrading...
  12. duckrabbit

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

That's fascinating! And sorry, my posts were probably in the wrong thread - but at least it's very nice to know about these comparisons. Will def keep an eye here.
  13. duckrabbit

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Up there in post #9104 I asked about comparisons between these inexpensive class D mini amps and in particular older higher end amps. I didn't get many replies (maybe wrong place) & thanks to those who did. But now I'd like to share a small update: I recently received an Amptastic Mini-1 (with...
  14. duckrabbit

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Comparisons between inexpensive mini amps vs older or modern higher end power amps? Could anyone point me to a good source of information ? My Accuphase E-202 is getting old and grumpy so I'm looking for something to replace it. I use it as power amp with a Sanyo Plus C55 preamp. Both late 70s...
  15. duckrabbit

Bookshelf speakers for Accuphase E-202 ?

The LS50 are very good speakers and match reasonably well with the Accuphase. They are well balanced and quite musical speakers. The way they pick out even the most subtle transients is impressive. The imaging is strong but very pin sharp. Contrary to what some say, I don't find these speakers...
Back
Top Bottom