Recent content by Ducky

1. Ducky

Favorite Bourbon

Four Roses, Makers or Beam -- whatever the LCBO is promoting. Up here in the Great White North we pay on average $27 and up for a 750mL bottle so I buy what's cheapest. :smoke:
  2. Ducky

Now this is a cool console stereo

Nothing wrong with digital, man. I bet we see one of these in a future Quentin Tarantino movie.
  3. Ducky

Good design.

G'day Felix! Yeah a lot of mid-fi amps seem to be current limited under 8 ohms. One thing I've also noticed about new speaker designs is that some speakers rated at 8 ohms really need an amp capable of driving a 4 ohm load. Wonder what that's all about? BTW, Have you heard any of the...
  4. Ducky

Now this is a cool console stereo

...And the subwoofer under it? :scratch2:
  5. Ducky

Tell us about your avatar

I work as a domestic butler... :smoke:
  6. Ducky

Console Tube Stereo Receiver, what the heck is it?

Kuba didn't make their own chassis at first. They were made by Graetz, Loewe-Opta, Nordmende and Telefunken to a lower price point than the OEM production. They began manufacturing their own chassis after they aquired a firm that made radios under the Imperial name. They became a very large...
  7. Ducky

What will you be listening to for your end of the world moment?

Skinny Puppy - Last Rights ... :smoke:
  8. Ducky

Hill Plasmatronic Speaker

Back in 1980 I heard a pair of Plasmatronics at Brack Electronics in Toronto. I was wondering if any AKers have a pair that they use today. I think the company made less than 100 pairs so they are pretty rare. Never seen or heard a pair since... :smoke:
  9. Ducky

Kuba consoles used speakers with alnico magnets (could be used in low powered guitar amps -- sweet sounding) and had excellent cabinet joinery with nice glossy finishes. If you don't have the room you could always sell it at a garage sale; don't leave it in the rain -- please... :tears:
  10. Ducky

About the ECLL 800: http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_ecll800.html They're not cheap to buy: http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6K-Types/6KH8-ECLL800 Good luck with the repair... :smoke:
  11. Ducky

Kuba products were made in the town of Wolfenbüttel. Their consoles were very popular and sold in various department stores in Toronto and Montreal. Build quality was not as high as Grundig, Saba or Nordmende. Your chassis was made in the late 60s and was one of their last new models...
  12. Ducky

Opinions on most over rated audio equipment.

Any gear that is out of my price range... :D
  13. Ducky

Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

Classical 94.5 - WNED FM out of Buffalo, NY on a Magnum Dynalab MD90T. They're playing Renaissance music from the Millennium of Music program hosted by Robert Aubry Davis as I write this. It's interesting that some of the most sublime music ever written was long before mankind discovered...
  14. Ducky

The First Record You Ever Bought

45 of The Trashmen's Surfin' Bird. Still have it and the sleeve it came in. Paid 50 cents for it -- 2 weeks allowance. Those were the days... Now the kids pay $1.09 for a single on iTunes and they don't get a hardcopy or the song on the flip side. Anyone else see anything wrong with...
  15. Ducky

Need passive preamp recommendations

I have this one in my pro system: http://www.nhthifi.com/PVC_Pro_XLR_professional_passive_volume_control?sc=12&category=1215 It utilizes a pair of excellent Jensen JT-11P-1HPC transformers. This passive volume control sounds more musical than my QED MA-34 passive which had no transformers...
Back
Top Bottom