Recent content by eb2jim

1. eb2jim

Quick Cart ID

Thanks!
  2. eb2jim

Quick Cart ID

Reaching out here after making the mistake of Facebook. I am trying to figure out this cart, which I should know. It came from an old bps belt drive wreck but I am trying to figure out what needle it uses. Anyone recognize this, Japanese 80s, prob Sanyo/Fisher or AT low level? And, no, I know...
  3. eb2jim

Technics—which direction?

I have only had speed issues in older 1350 and 1400, and both came back 100% with a speed board rebuild. Electrolytics do get pooped after 40 plus years, so eventually they will all need the half hour with a soldering iron. So I am never knocked out by quartz locked DD vs earlier servo stuff...
  4. eb2jim

Fun with some turntable speed tests

I tend to avoid phone apps for speed, although I have a couple that I liked. The aforementioned issue of cell phones themselves knocking the platter off balance is real but I avoid that by using a roll of electrical tape over the spindle to keep it centered and level. Even still for repair this...
  5. eb2jim

Dual 1228 help needed - indexing problem

Hello Dual fans. I am working on a 1228 for a friend and while it had the typical lube issues that I have resolved ( auto starts and stops, manual start and stop moves the copper clip as it should, plays on pitch, everything moves as it should, motor dropped opened and lubed) I am getting...
  6. eb2jim

BSR turntables - the heart of the matter

The 710 and 810 both are Elac clones as far as spindles, platter, mat, base etc. Its what is underneath that differs radically. For whatever reason they chose to make them interchange a lot of parts with Elac.
  7. eb2jim

Williamson G-3 - any thoughts on these?

A pair of these older floor speakers showed up at a local thrift. I passed on them as I am trying to downsize in general but they looked cool. I left them for the next guy. They looked a bit beyond white van but I couldn’t find anything on them. Any connection to the Heath amps? Any good?
  8. eb2jim

How to modify a Technics turntable to play 78 rpm

It was so long ago, I can't even remember. It seemed obvious to me at the time, and then I put it into daily duty in my set up. I did promise myself that I would yank it out this summer and clean it up, so I will report back. But its been doing its thing for eons. I have settled into using a...
  9. eb2jim

First turntable - Philips GA312 or Lenco L75

Having worked on and owned several Philips 212 and 312's, I love them, but they do drive me batty. My first "real" turntable was a 212. But the ones I find in the wild need a load of work. The belts they used turned to goo, and if they broke or fragmented in the suspended chassis that goo needs...
  10. eb2jim

Questions about ebay purchase JVC L-A31

Carefully unpack and make sure it made it through in one piece! What cartridge did they say was on it, or did you buy without a cartridge with it? If it is good, don't buy any new cartridge. They don't break with age.
  11. eb2jim

Dual Idler Wheels

Well the construction of the old 1219 and 1209 wheels was essential a metal disc bonded to a bronze center piece with rubber bonded over the metal. The difference largely being less visible metal with the original design, vs the O ring versions having it exposed. In the original version the...
  12. eb2jim

Dual Idler Wheels

I have seen these on the bay. A seller out of Canada seems to be machining these up. I would consider that as an option. I know that someone was making these as a solution to the old RCA 45 machines. I heard those were working very well. I think walking to the corner hardware store for an o...
  13. eb2jim

Dual Idler Wheels

Thanks. Not looking for pricing per se, as I can contact whomever individually. More avoiding nosebleed pricing vs people who are in a reasonable ballpark. But I am glad to hear VM does the job and worth a repeat biz.
  14. eb2jim

Dual Idler Wheels

It's been a while since I have had to think about this, but I am wondering, as of 2021, who people are using for rebuilding old hard shrunk Dual idler wheels. I know people were using VM Audio Enthusiasts, and Terry's, and there were a couple of others a few years ago. I am considering getting...
  15. eb2jim

Power question for Sony TC W235

Thanks for the heads up on the manual. I would need the transformer they use in the normal versions of this. Which may be something I could dig up.
Back
Top Bottom