Recent content by eedork

1. eedork

Looking for my first Mac component, preamp

The MA6600 is excellent. I had one for many years with a D100 and enjoyed it. The preamp stage is slightly older than the current generation of preamps so it is missing some of the newest features, like built-in DAC, high power headphone output with HXD, renamable inputs, better phono section...
  2. eedork

Advent 350

The 350 is a rare bird quite a bit different than the 300. I had one for a little while and was happy with it. I might have a service manual around if you need it. Good luck getting it working again. -Matt
  3. eedork

Anyone have impressions of the Mha-150 or Ma-6600 ma-6450? Trying to decide. Using with grado headphones. Compared to MC 502

No problem! My biggest issue with the TM1 in the MA6600 was the ergonomics, and specifically the lack of a tuning knob. I think this has actually been fixed in newer McIntosh integrated amplifiers. Prior to the MA6600 I had a Magnum Dynalab FT-101 which I really enjoyed. I sold it when I got...
  4. eedork

Anyone have impressions of the Mha-150 or Ma-6600 ma-6450? Trying to decide. Using with grado headphones. Compared to MC 502

I've owned a lot of McIntosh gear over the years including an MA6600, MC502, and an MHA100. The MA6600 was equipped with a TM1 tuner card and was a fantastic all-in-one unit. It sounded great and had plenty of power, but it was huge, very heavy, and I was never all that happy with the tuner...
  5. eedork

MQ112 - finally!

Agreed twiiii. I really wish they had included the old variable loudness feature on this unit. I miss that one feature so much and have seriously considered selling my C52 and getting an older preamp and newer DAC just to get it back. -Matt
  6. eedork

MA8900 with faded meter text?

I used a clean microfiber and a bit of water to clean the glass. Cleaning it is easy; getting at it is not. -Matt
  7. eedork

MA8900 with faded meter text?

This could be due to off gassing off nearby material. I've seen this on a number of McIntosh pieces of varying age, including my relatively new C52. It shows up as a dull film on the back side of the glass and diffuser. It cleans up easily but the entire front panel has to come off and the...
  8. eedork

MC7300 One Channel On Fritz

The MC7300 is an awesome amp. Good luck finding the fault. I agree with @SaturationPt that it is likely a bad connection, cold solder joint, or a cracked trace. I would get a magnifying glass and bright light and take a real close look at the solder side of the board in that area. If that...
  9. eedork

Multimeter suggestions

I have and love two older Fluke meters. One is a Fluke 26 III handheld that I've had for 20 years and the other is a recently purchased Fluke 45 benchtop. The 26 III has been a great meter and the only reason I purchased the 45 was because the deal was so good and I had been looking for a...
  10. eedork

New acquired Luxman L480, surprise!

I'm working on an L-580 right now that also gets real hot. It biases up fine and sounds fantastic but I really don't like the amount of heat that it generates. I've added small heatsinks to a few of the driver transistors but they still get so hot that I can't keep my fingers on them for more...
  11. eedork

Dealing with heat in Luxman L-580

I don't know what Luxman was thinking with this design. If the amp board was mounted component side up instead of component side down the heat would likely have not been an issue at all. -Matt
  12. eedork

After thinking about this for *way* too long, I finally have a plan for fixing the lifted pads and some of the heat issues on this L-580. Rather than punching holes in the chassis and mounting the new Q707/708 transistors on top of the board as I was originally thinking, I'm going to try using...
  13. eedork

Thanks Blue Shadow! I saw your post from about ca 2013 about this same issue. There is a cross-member directly on the backside of the board where these transistors are mounted. So mounting the transistors on the other side of the board is only possible if holes are punched in the cross-member...
  14. eedork

I just made a trade for a very nice-looking L-580 with a member here (thanks Frank!). Cosmetically, it is in great shape, but it had blown output transistors and obvious signs of heat around the Q706a/b and Q708a/b driver transistors on the power amp board. Unfortunately, this board is mounted...
  15. eedork

Small Footprint amps but not an integrated amps

I know you said no integrated amps, but you should take a look at the McIntosh MHA100/150. These have a great built-in DAC, a subwoofer output, 50 WPC, a fantastic headphone amp, and meters. I have one on my desk at work and it is a beautiful piece of equipment. I could easily live with it as my...
Back
Top Bottom