Recent content by ethangsmith

1. ethangsmith

Project: Hafler DH-101

That definitely goes further in depth, but makes it a little more confusing maybe? Regardless, 5uf it is! I think I'll go the 4.7uf Wima film route as well as they clearly fit just fine and perform well.
  2. ethangsmith

Yep, these are in series on the board, just like the photos above. I saw one guy use two 22uf caps glued together on a different thread. Guess that was definitely wrong. I had also seen a simplified formula online that just said to take total capacitance and divide by number of caps, so in this...
  3. ethangsmith

Apologies on dredging up an old thread, but my question pertains directly to this early type of 101: In replacing the tantalum sets in positions C2 and C11, since the values of each cap are 10uf, and there are two back-to-back, wouldn't you want to replace it with a single 10uf film cap? I was...
  4. ethangsmith

Hafler DH-101 preamp. No gain in L channel.

I see you replaced some resistors as well.
  5. ethangsmith

After touching up some suspect solder joints, the unit is playing again. I cannot with any assurance say that it's "fixed" but it is playing for now. I think it's time for a rebuild soon though. The electrolyic caps in the unit don't appear to be of good quality so I'll probably replace those...
  6. ethangsmith

None of the switches have any affect on operation. The left channel is always a whisper. The caps are "IC" brand and original to the unit, so I've sorta suspected maybe one of the caps pooped out. This appears to be an owner assembled kit. Soldering work isn't bad, but it's not great either.
  7. ethangsmith

Hmmm. I'll have to try that too. Looking at some of the connections, they don't look great. I'll hit all of them with my iron. No relay on this guy, it's just instant on. I'll mess with the switches again as much as I can too. I'm hoping it's not a failed component and something simple! While...
  8. ethangsmith

I'm not sure how I'd do that without destroying them. They appear sealed other than a few small holes for wires and such. This unit was working fine without any scratchiness or channel dropouts on all the pots and switches until tonight. I did do another treatment and worked all the pots and...
  9. ethangsmith

I did that as well. No dice.
  10. ethangsmith

Turned on the Hafler DH-101 and DH-200 this evening to discover the left channel has no gain. It's not the amp as connecting an audio source directly to it causes both channels to play as normal. Connecting an audio source to the input of the "EXT PATCH" jacks on the rear of the preamp...
  11. ethangsmith

2022 Fall Mid Atlantic get together at Ohighway's Sunday Nov. 6th from noon till 6pm.

I don't have my work schedule yet for that weekend, but if I'm free, I'd like to get to one of these events!
  12. ethangsmith

Hafler DH-200/220 or Dynaco Stereo 410?

Good to know. Amp seems healthy so far. The next step is going to be hooking it up and feeding it signal.
  13. ethangsmith

Is it normal for the heat sinks to get a little warm at idle with no signal? I am setting the bias (The warmer it gets, the lower the bias goes) and noticed the heat sinks getting slightly warm.
  14. ethangsmith

Easy enough. Thanks!
  15. ethangsmith

Any idea where I could get jumper pins for the "EXT PATCH" RCA jacks on the DH-101 preamp?
Back
Top Bottom