Recent content by evsentry3

1. E

Can an Amplifier make this huge difference in sound?

As a teenager, when I came back from the county fair, with none of the money left my Mom gave me...and no prizes, I should have just told her that the shell game was just science. "It's science Mom" But man oh man....I so wanted that stuffed unicorn that I came so close to winning!
  2. E

Mono Sum circuit

To simplify why a simple Y adapter is not good...signal doesn't know where you intend for it go...or not. You want it to go from output to input. But the other leg of the Y is also on an output. Said another way, when a Y is plugged in to both out's, you are directly plugging in an output...
  3. E

"AM Stereo" - The Forgotten, but Perhaps Superior Medium

"In 1986 the National Radio Systems Committee (NRSC), a joint committee composed of representatives of AM stations, AM receiver manufacturers and broadcast equipment suppliers developed a set of standards employing preemphasis and setting an AM audio bandwidth limit of 10 kHz. Then, early in...
  4. E

Do I want HD Radio?

Actually the FCC's desire is that HD signals were permitted, but are not to exceed the analog coverage. That was their goal for the industry. The original lab and field testing yielded the result of the initial allowance. This is the so called -20 injection that most broadcasters initially...
  5. E

Rewiring DAT machine XLR socket

The manual appears to spec the mic input as a 10K in. So loading the two channels from a mic means a 5k input impedance presented to the mic. The question is simply how the mic sounds with that load. It won't damage it to try it. But that means rewiring it, just to test. Or...clip something...
  6. E

That wiring diagram would give you mic audio to the left channel of the recorder. Right would be silent. If that's ok, then it certainly would work in that way. EV3
  7. E

XLR's are available in several pin counts. 3 pin are the common though. That input is stereo. That's why it's a 5. It's listed as a XLR-5. Balanced stereo plus a common. Pin 1-gnd. 2-L+ 3-L- 4-R+ 5-R- EV3
  8. E

8 Ohm 100W dummy load

Those are NOT a 100 watt load without adequate heatsinking. Make sure you get that taken care of if you really need that kind of wattage dissipation. EV3
  9. E

Is there a difference using RS232 vs HDMI?

I'm going to guess it's a touch screen monitor. The RS232 isn't for video, it's for the relaying of the touch position on the screen. HDMI is for the digital stream of video and perhaps audio. RS232 is just an older version of USB control tech. EV3
  10. E

Please say no to increased IBOC noise from HD radio

Of course not! Just get tired of seeing the "self noise" thing being used to excuse the tuner. You could say there is NO noise created in the analog signal. But that is a bit of a glossing over of details too. Do you blame a tire when you feel a bump? The bandpass being too great was...
  11. E

Yep...that's a good deep dive on the technical details. But the fact remains that problems typically come from two things...a really wide bandwidth front end or a poorly tuned stage. Cramming another service into the same spectrum has certainly always been less than a desirable choice. But if...
  12. E

Some of what I would consider incorrect information being presented here. First, in the distant past, for the purposed of more gentle filtering and higher quality sound in strong enough signal areas, wide bandwith front ends were sought. Now that was all fine if the signal was strong enough...
  13. E

How to calculate frequency w/ scope?

Maybe this will help.. Fluke site Disco Manuals
  14. E

Question about constructing a capacitor discharge tool

And with the mention of 100 ohm resistor to dissipate, this would be a good time to point out that a temporary bleeder resistor values would differ greatly depending on if your talking typical voltages in a solid state amp or a tube amp. The voltages are so different that going one way, low...
  15. E

Digital cables and sound.

Always a great idea to determine audio is 'perfect' using 1.5" plastic speakers!! What the first demo showed more than anything was the source impedance and the ability of the receive end to pull out the clock. EV3
Back
Top Bottom