Recent content by Filius

1. Filius

Sansui 771 - Weird balance issue

Hi, I'm hoping for a little troubleshooting guidance. There are two issues (possibly related?): 1. Once in a while the right channel goes out. I turn the receiver off and back on, and it comes back. But what's weirder (to me anyway) is ... 2. Sometimes when I turn the balance all the way...
  2. Filius

unstable DC offset on 771

Very old post, obviously but I just wanted to let you know that I had the same problem and your suggestion solved it and saved me a lot of time and trouble. My relay kept tripping and the DC offset was unstable on one channel. I sprayed Deoxit on the trim pot, turned it back and forth several...
  3. Filius

Pioneer CS-88 to Econowave

TMC: Yes, I'm sure they are the original woofers as my friend is not the tinkering type.
  4. Filius

I purchased a pair from a friend who had bought them brand new as a young man. I don't know why they measure differently. People have suggested that one of them may have been exposed to moisture or humidity while the other one wasn't, or it could have been a manufacturing defect, or they may...
  5. Filius

Roger: Yeah, that's how I feel too! It's a trip hearing such great sound coming out of these old-fashioned cabinets.
  6. Filius

For what it’s worth, I thought I would add my Econowave “build” to the list. I made them from a pair of Pioneer CS-88s using the Econowave Standard crossover. I am a relative novice at speaker building. I have built one pair of DIY speakers before this (Overnight Sensation MTMs) and know...
  7. Filius

Question re sealed enclosures, damping and volume

I just want to confirm something for my own understanding. I have read various articles on the web that seemed to say contradictory things, or maybe I was just getting confused. Anyway, I would appreciate it if anyone could confirm that my understanding is correct: In a sealed cabinet: Qtc...
  8. Filius

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

That's what I needed, thanks! :thmbsp:
  9. Filius

Dumptruck: I am ready to try some crossover tweaking by ear. Earlier you wrote, "You could use the parts for the second xover to experiment a little (for example, clip the other 4mH on top of the first one in parallel to get 2mH)." I assume you mean like in the attached image (the circled...
  10. Filius

Woofer impedance mismatch

Ah. Looks like I can use a 10 ohm resistor. Thanks!
  11. Filius

Well, I finally got one of them put together. At first I tried it with the stock impedance filter (I guess that's what it's called -- the the 6.5 ohm resistor with the 50 uh inductor). It sounded like crap: basically lots of bass and high end but no middle. So I took those out and HOLY CRAP...
  12. Filius

Adda: I haven't got that far yet. My plan was to measure them to determine the appropriate enclosure volume, vent length, etc., then build the Econowave crossovers, and at that point -- if they didn't already sound totally awesome to my ears -- possibly invest in a microphone to do FR...
  13. Filius

Thanks, DC, I am rather hung up. The thing is that even if I built them as is and they sounded great to my ears, I imagine myself having niggling doubts that they could have been "even better". But maybe I'll just do it and see. I can always swap them out later if I feel it necessary. I just...
  14. Filius

I haven't been able to use LIMP yet, since apparently I need a 27 ohm resistor to set it up, which I can't get until tomorrow at the earliest. But I did do further impedance measurements at each frequency from 200Hz to 2000Hz at 100Hz increments. Results attached (on the X axis, numbers 1-18...
  15. Filius

And yes, I did measure them out of the cabinets, clamped in a vice.
Back
Top Bottom