Recent content by filmis

1. filmis

Channels Imbalanced on Yamaha CX-10000

Thanks for all the input. Well, the problem got worse, and eventually I had enough of it. Narrowed it down to the VCA-2 MAIN L unit amp, but the downshot is that these are not very serviceable: the sit vertically in a metal enclosure in operation. I swapped it for a working unit amp from the DSP...
  2. filmis

Calling All Yamahas. Time to Post Your Pics

Great photos. Here's one of mine. System in signature.
  3. filmis

Channels Imbalanced on Yamaha CX-10000

Hi all, I recently repaired a Yamaha CX-10000 and though it's in good working order now, there is an issue with an imbalance on both channels. I try adjusting the balance knob but it never is quite right, with one channel being more sensitive to spikes in the music while remaining quieter in...
  4. filmis

Tape Slipping off Capstan?

Hello all. Thank you for the helpful replies. It is unfortunately the tape, it is slightly stretched out on one end and I presume this is causing capstan slippage. I may get around around to uploading a picture, though it's very subtle, and I would not expect that such slight warping could have...
  5. filmis

Tape Slipping off Capstan?

Hi all, I recently discovered the sonic bliss that are reel to reel tapes. I swear, the first one I popped on nearly made me weep; it sounded so beautiful. However, one of my tapes has a nasty habit of wanting to slip off the capstan. It has even broken in a few places and I hear...
  6. filmis

Phase Linear 1000--mono and not stereo??

So, just an update--I've been doing some basic troubleshooting but without a service manual or schematic I am not getting very far. I believe the problem is in the buffer amp, because I get the same issue with all cards removed and all of the circuits defeated. Furthermore, signal gets through...
  7. filmis

It would be the series one. I've done a thorough pot cleaning with no luck. :(
  8. filmis

I recently acquired one of these units which is purported to restore some dynamic range to highly compressed recordings using peak unlimiting and a downward expander. Apparently designed by Bob Carver. My Phase Linear 1000, however, also seems to mix its stereo input down to mono. This is...
  9. filmis

Bell 2421 AM/FM Tuner -- Stereo MPX Issue?

Thanks that is definitely it! Any advice on where to get replacement electrolytics? Mouser doesn't have one with the right voltage rating available (170vac).
  10. filmis

Bell 2421 AM/FM Tuner -- Stereo MPX Issue?

Hi all, Recently got this nice find, but noticed the stereo FM section sounds garbled. I've checked out this thread here https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/fix-for-400-fm-mpx-distortion.728477/page-2 but have no idea where to start with this model as the schematics for the MPX...
  11. filmis

Yamaha C-2a: Phono Channel Dropout Until Heats Up

Hi all, Would appreciate your input on this problem I'm having with my Yamaha C-2a before I tear it open. The left phono channel (no other input is affected) is sometimes dead when the unit is powered on, but invariably returns once the unit heats up. Any idea what this could be? Cold solder...
  12. filmis

How many gangs in this tuner?

I hope someone out there has a service manual, I would like to do a recap and wonder if there are any mods for it... Not that I want to mess with near-perfection, but seems like good sense to do so if possible.
  13. filmis

Best Bang For The Buck Vintage Tuner

I followed your advice and I was not disappointed. :eek2:
  14. filmis

How many gangs in this tuner?

I have to say, the MCS 3710 (NEC AUT-8000E) is by far the best tuner I've ever heard (which, admittedly, isn't many)--but I know a piece of equipment is really worth something when it makes me hear something that I initially think it is actually coming from something else in the room.
  15. filmis

MCS 3710 Tuner

I have the same problem with my tuner. So, the needles were just stuck? Which screw did you loosen?
Back
Top Bottom