Recent content by Fleischer

1. F

New house, living room setup!

How uncluttered. Quite a difference from the old place!
  2. F

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Weeping, weeping....
  3. F

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

I found a single one at a Salvation Army a couple of years ago. Maybe we could get our lonely speakers together.
  4. F

Best "value" vintage receiver to buy today

And I paid WAY under that for my CR-2020 at a vintage stereo shop not all that long ago. Most Yamaha equipment is much much cheaper than the equivalent Marantz unit. Someone else earlier on this thread reported getting one for $100. Unless my math is much worse than I thought, that puts it...
  5. F

True. And if you measure quality for the money by how much something weighs, a large boat anchor would be a fabulous audio bargain even if the only sound it makes is a loud thump when you drop it. If rarity is the criterion, then my childhood home made crystal set which had a production run of 1...
  6. F

There are several words that I never associate with "good value" in the same sentence. They include "Marantz" and "Sansui". I'd also throw in big Pioneer gear and rarer flagship monster receivers like the Yamaha CR-3020, which goes for 2-3 times the price of the similar 2020. The real value now...
  7. F

Recapping. Now I'm a believer.

I'll put the Monkees on today's play list!
  8. F

I've always been a "if the caps aren't swollen or leaking, leave them alone" kind of guy and read lots of accounts of recappings not making much improvement. I did have more than the caps changed out, although not as radical an overhaul as you describe. All I can say is that what was done to the...
  9. F

A couple of years ago, I found a Yamaha CA-1010 at a thrift store. Being a Yammie fan I was aware of it's good reputation. After locating a replacement for a broken output board, I ran it for a while. It was fine, but not really outstanding in relation to other old Yamaha gear I've owned...
  10. F

Best value of the Marantz 22xx receivers?

The best value Marantz receiver is a Sherwood.
  11. F

Underdogs - Undervalued Vintage Receivers

I have had good luck with Sherwood, like many here. And a monster Yamaha receiver like the CR-2020 goes for less than half of what big Pioneer, Marantzes and Sansuis go for, and are drop-dead gorgeous to boot. But the biggest bargains and bang for the buck comes from mid-range (around 50 watts...
  12. F

Your Favorite Middle-Range Receivers/Int Amps

All these fans of the Sony TA-1130 are breaking my heart, as my gorgeous-looking example lacks a transformer and is no more musical than a door stop. I'd nominate the Sony TA-N86b and TA-E86b as perhaps my best sounding amp/preamp combo. I am also fond of the Braun Regie CEV 520 receiver, which...
Back
Top Bottom