Recent content by freakquincy

1. F

Tubes or solid state...are tubes worth the extra money?

If you truly want to reproduce the source signal without as it was recorded, then tubes are not the way to go. The 'warmth' people talk about with tubes is basically a 'post production effect'. It's not the way the music was originally recorded. That being said, I think old Black Sabbath...
  2. F

SR-202 Reverb Amplifier

What is the purpose of a Reverb Amplifier in a home stereo setup? I mean, I fully understand what reverb is for on a guitar amp/etc, but what's their application in home audio? Was that just a short lived fad or something?
  3. F

Testing 6MJ6/6JM6/6LQ6C on a TV7

Found some of these RCA 6MJ6, but I have no way to test them. I think this is a TV sweep tube but I guess they are also used in some high end McIntosh amps like the MC3500, and maybe also in some Ham rigs? (This might explain the $$ people seem to be getting for them.) I guess the proper way...
  4. F

TV-7 D/U question

Yes, I do see some tubes that have the # have a note for 'special instructions' below it. I'm pretty sure the one I looked at the other day did not have any special instructions, but now I can't remember what tube it was or find that page in the book. I'll post back if/when I find it again.
  5. F

Pioneer SX 525 and SX 939

OK, working on the SX-939. the SX-525 is shelved for now. I replaced the 4 x 2SA726's on the power amp board and about to test. I was going to also replace the 2 x 2SC1451's, but I got worried because the replacement KSC3503's don't look like the originals at all, they look more like Q9 and...
  6. F

TV-7 D/U question

This is probably a dumb question, but on my TV-7, when the test book says 'press #', what does that mean?
  7. F

Larry, Thanks for the info, I'll start by ordering those transistors.
  8. F

Hello, first time posting here. I have both a Pioneer SX 525 and SX 939 that are experiencing the same symptoms: After a few minutes of use, they develop a loud static/crackle/thunder from the right speaker. From what I've read this may be shorted/bad transistors on the power amp board, as...
Back
Top Bottom