Recent content by frodaddi

1. frodaddi

Correct way to power on/off C22 MK V

Yeah I have a current model Panamax (M5400-PM) that I use similarly, triggered by my MA8950 to power up all my other hifi 'stuff'. Works like a charm. To me it would be worth finding a 12v triggerable power solution for the convenience of being able to power up the MC240 remotely via the C22.
  2. frodaddi

Correct way to power on/off C22 MK V

I am pretty sure that if you remove AC power from the C22 via the APC that when you restore power it will go into standby mode, so you will still need to power it up with the remote or the front panel switch after power is applied. The C22 only draws < 0.5 watts in standby mode, so you might as...
  3. frodaddi

New preamp or new integrated?

I've been enjoying my new MA8950, so I can vouch for it as a good product. You could connect your MC275 to the second pair of outputs and use it as a preamp for your 275 or use the integrated solid state amp, depending on where you hook up the speakers. In fact I do exactly this, although I...
  4. frodaddi

Hooking 2 channel receiver to home theater avr

I chose Yamaha for my HT passthru setup because I needed preamp out and a 12v trigger for the feature to work with the MA8950, and the Yamaha was the most affordable option with those features. To get a Denon or Marantz that would work it would have been about 3x the price. It’s fine for HT...
  5. frodaddi

Hooking 2 channel receiver to home theater avr

There are preamps / integrated amps / receivers which have a feature called home theater bypass (or passthru) which is designed specifically for this purpose. I do this with a Yamaha AVR and McIntosh MA8950 for two channel. What you are describing is the same concept except doing it manually...
  6. frodaddi

synergestic speakers for C22 pre and MC462 power amp

There are a few sources for independent measurements out there which can be fairly thorough. Stereophile usually does them in their reviews, then you got ASR and some other reviewers that do Kippel scans etc. The thing is it’s not feasible, or even possible usually, to do in person auditions...
  7. frodaddi

synergestic speakers for C22 pre and MC462 power amp

I am shopping for speakers for my 8950. Currently have Klipsch RF-7 II but thinking I’d like to try something that measures well for accuracy. Also want wood cabinets and would like to stay around 100 pounds each max Revel f228be and KEF R11 meta are leading contenders. Magicio really...
  8. frodaddi

Restore or Upgrade for Vintage MC250?

It’s already not original and can’t be put back to original since there’s new holes for the quarter inch jacks. And I really dislike those terminal strips. So I say go with the binding posts (they look better too)
  9. frodaddi

Actual watts....who can shed light on this subject?

Do the meters actually measure power or just voltage? I am pretty sure they move with no speakers connected, which suggests it’s a voltage only measurement since there’d be no current in that case. If it’s voltage only then the computation must be using an assumed value for impedance...
  10. frodaddi

Want to know what speakers you are using for your McIntosh Gear

I’m shopping for speakers for my new MA8950, to replace my Klipsch RF-7 IIs. Leading contender right now Revel f228be but still considering other candidates…
  11. frodaddi

McIntosh C55 and C2800

The return of the tape processor loop is a welcome new feature, and the ability to use the extra outputs in high / low / subwoofer mode could be an attractive capability to those who wish to do active crossover for biamping in the analog domain (I assume it's analog?) rather than digital via MEN220.
  12. frodaddi

What can I do

Super easy and free - the wiim has an eq you can play with in the app, see if that helps. If it does then you can consider some eq hardware for other sources.
  13. frodaddi

RIP Terry DeWick

Sure hate to hear this. Purchased my MC2125 from him and Tom some years back.
  14. frodaddi

MX 114 Rebuild / Replace the Volume Potentiometer

True on both counts. FWIW I was able to program a Harmony remote to work with mine no problem, CR7 was in their database as an 'amplifier'. Although, for that matter, Harmony remotes are getting hard to find too... Might be other alternatives out there?
  15. frodaddi

MX 114 Rebuild / Replace the Volume Potentiometer

If you can find a CR7 you could put it in the tape loop, leave the 114 volume at 12:00 and use the CR7 to control the volume. Plus as an added bonus you would get remote control for the volume, power, and additional inputs. Actually I just looked and there happens to be one on the auction site...
Back
Top Bottom