Recent content by Gary Mattis

1. Gary Mattis

6L6 GC bias how high is okay to Go ?

I ended up at .072 bias because above that they get pretty muddy on the 2 hi gain channels. So .036 per tube is where I decided to leave it. It gets really loud now and it has a nice controllable breakup on Any channel just by turning up the volume a little bit. It's probably a little hot for...
  2. Gary Mattis

Tha Thanks that's what I was thinking, I knew 60 for both was very cold for two tubes in A 60 Watt amp , this one is - 57 negative voltage. And that sounds about right for 60 Watts. I'm not sure about the math with that negative voltage but what you are saying sounds right to me.
  3. Gary Mattis

My neighbor was gone so I decided to try out the amplifier again today with the JJ tubes biased up At 70 ma for the pair. It Sounded flat again to me just like before at 57 ma. , I decided to try changing the pre amps and splitter to better ones to see what they could do to help with the flat...
  4. Gary Mattis

I put the bias up to 70 on the JJ tubes and they sound a lot better than At 57 . But when I was in there I decided to try some other matched tubes. I had a Vintage NEC Red plate and A Vintage GE Red plate and two Vintage RCA tall bottles Red Plate. So four of the tubes were not good enough to...
  5. Gary Mattis

I'm working on A Fender DeVille 60 Watt amp with two 12's Eminence speakers. Before I got it someone put new JJ output tubes in it and fender pre amp tubes. Sounded a little bit flat to me so I decided to leave the pre amp tubes alone for now and change the output tubes to better ones and see...
  6. Gary Mattis

Is A 45 tube PP amplifier worth building ?

I have 3 out of four 45 tubes already and I was thinking about building a 45 tube PP amplifier. Two of the tubes match so I could go fixed bias if I can match the other tube. The other thing was I was wondering about was if I can use a 6v6 PP amplifier for the iron and tone stack ? It has a...
  7. Gary Mattis

Tube Rolling among the Great's 12AX7

Yes But I have black box plates 6C4 now. I like RCA black plates but I don't think they compare to The Telefunken's and Mullards or Even Amperex Holland.
  8. Gary Mattis

difference between Telefunken 12AX7 tubes

F Foil getter tubes any brand Are mid 1950's usually and They usually demand higher prices. Around 1948 after WW2 The 12AX7 was Born to the new generation. I'm pretty sure they had them before that but were used for the War only. Now that We have them I must admit that they are almost...
  9. Gary Mattis

Bought a QUAD of RCA 6L6GC

Check out these 6L6 GA that I found in my stash today , Sylvania
  10. Gary Mattis

Has a 300 number under the Octagon stamp
  11. Gary Mattis

W What do they sound like ? Nec definitely looks like the same tube.
  12. Gary Mattis

This is A 6L6 GC black plate realistic. The Realistic stamping is over The RCA Octagon stamp ? gold pins and 5 hole steel reinforced side plates ? Top getter also ? Never seen a RCA like this one before. They definitely appear to be RCA smooth black plates but with 5 holes instead of 3 holes...
Back
Top Bottom